General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

strange starting issue need some advice **problem has been solved**

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default strange starting issue need some advice **problem has been solved**

background is its 98 ws6, basic bolt ons, 49k miles.

This just started a few weeks ago, the car has been sitting for the winter in my garage however i doubt thats the cause.

It started as intermittent but now is every time i try to start it, i will put the key in the ignition and lights and all come on and everything like normal but as soon as you turn the key you hear a loud tick or snap like it tried to start and all lights shutoff and everything goes dead even the security LED on the dash. I can wait a few min and try again and same deal, however the fix is i pop my hood and litterally move my battery side to side for a sec or shake it and i hear a click over by the relay box and then the car will start. sometimes i have to shake the battery twice, and then it will start. However each time when it does start it resets trip meter and all radio settings so thats telling me its acting like the battery was disconnected completely. My first thought was battery terminal connections are weak or dirty as ive been doing bolt ons lately but i dont think so because if it was a connection like that wouldnt it get disconnected while driving during the bumps of the road and shut off the car? Help needed as it will need to be my daily all next week while my other vehicle goes on loan to the GF.

also to add in, it does an idle relearn after every time so i know for sure the PCM and everything is acting like the battery is removed after ever drive.

Last edited by usnfenix; 02-02-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

So the battery cables are tight at the battery then? And tight at both ends? Have you touched any ground wires during the process of doing those modifications?

If you're able to shake the battery around, then it sounds like you might have the typical broken battery tray issue (the battery tray is molded into the coolant overflow bottle - and the forward lip on this tray tends to crack and allow the battery to shift around no matter how much you try to tighten it. This movement can lead to the cables loosening. The fix would be a new overflow bottle.)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

the cables are attached firmly, and i did headers and went for motor mounts and all a few months ago but never had starting issues after that install. the most recent one i did was SSRA but this didnt start happening until after the car sat in the garage for a few weeks without starting.

As far as the movement goes, i can fully pick up the battery its not really secured down at all well. If the cables are loosening how does this explain moving it to start but not shutting off while driving, these roads are fairly bumpy, and also ive noticed i can park the car, shut it off and then it will turn right back on, however the issue only happens if the car sits overnight without starting. I thought maybe the battery is going bad but that doesnt explain to me how i have to shake the battery to get the car to start. Or maybe it does, the electrical side of the car is my weakest area. It does seem odd that after shaking the battery i can hear that relay close.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

should probably add that while driving the battery gauge is reading a few above 13 in the normal area and doesnt seem to dip at all.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I would just double check all the connections for tightness and any corrosion under the terminals of the battery. As far as driving it and it not shutting off, you can loose you're positive the alternator will keep it running. As for the ground connection at the battery, if you loose it - it will shut down. A failing battery can produce some weirdness. For some time I was trying to troubleshoot what I thought to be starter issues on my Firebird 400. The gears from the starter were clashing the flywheel - even twice broke the snout on the starter. It would turn over and crank. Turns out after I swapped the battery - problem gone. Check your connections and if they're good, change the battery.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

After starting a vehicle the battery is a non issue if the alternator is healthy. You can disconnect the battery if you want.

To me it sounds like a loose ground, possibly the one on the passenger side block and when you shake the battery you make a good enough connection, then drive it and the ground becomes disconnected again.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

it could be a ground, I wasn't aware that after starting the battery is non issue. The alternator is healthy.

Where is said ground located? I did mess with the passenger side a few months back when I took everything out for header install and then removed the AC compressor and tensioner.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

If I remember correct there is a large one by the starter and a thin one that goes to the frame.

With a healthy alternator, once car is started you could disconnect battery and it would continue to run
Old 02-02-2017, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

The battery should not be loose at all, the fact that it is makes a loose connection an even more likely culprit in this case. Can you tighten the hold down bolt at all? If that has no effect, then I'm guessing that the battery tray is broken. Common issue for these.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't believe you can loose the ground and keep running. All of the components would have a floating ground and not be happy at all. Ground is the reference for all of the electrical components - including the computer, injectors ....etc.....I lost the ground connection once on a battery that had an alternator problem charging at 18V and the terminal literally melted out of the battery. Everything shutdown.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have found the culprit(s)

The battery terminal screw was way stripped out and making intermittent contact. The rubber shield made it appear as if it was tight. Also the battery tested as bad so i replaced it and the terminal screws and so far it has solved the problem and the car starts up much healthier than before. Leaving post up for future searches.

Thanks all for your input
Old 02-04-2017, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
I don't believe you can loose the ground and keep running. All of the components would have a floating ground and not be happy at all. Ground is the reference for all of the electrical components - including the computer, injectors ....etc.....I lost the ground connection once on a battery that had an alternator problem charging at 18V and the terminal literally melted out of the battery. Everything shutdown.
I've run many vehicles without a battery. If you have tools but no cables and someone needs a jump start it's possible to use your battery, start their car with it, remove your battery with the vehicle still running and reconnect their dead battery.

I've done this at least 8-10 times, with no bad results.

Quick Reply: strange starting issue need some advice **problem has been solved**