General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anti freeze coming out of my exhaust, and car starts pretty hard, what can this be?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anti freeze coming out of my exhaust, and car starts pretty hard, what can this be?!

ive tried search. but this seems more efficient to just ask. i start my car today and drive a short distance, i stop at a stop sign on the way back home and the car begins to idle pretty funny ( like i had a monster cam or something but the motors stock). i get home cut the car off and cut it back on but it struggled to cut back on, and when it does cut on a **** load of white smoke comes out my exhaust and as i cut the car back off anti freeze purs out my muffler, and out the radiator. WHAT COULD THIS BE???!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

uhh.... so your radiator is leaking?................... coolant out the exhaust would be a blown head gasket... is the car overheating?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Launching!

are you being serious ?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Launching!

if your seeing water come out the exhaust, that is normal....... are you sure its antifreeze or just moisture?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Blown gasket....when a cylinder is taking big gulps of coolant it BOTH blasts it out in white smoke.......but it also pushes massive amounts of air into the cooling system and will make the coolant boil over in a hurry.

SO...you better not start it anymore, you could hydralock your engine and then its all over..............

Get a coolant system pressure tester...take out all 8 spark plugs and see which cylinder, if any, fills with coolant.

Don't start it any more..............

Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Blown gasket....when a cylinder is taking big gulps of coolant it BOTH blasts it out in white smoke.......but it also pushes massive amounts of air into the cooling system and will make the coolant boil over in a hurry.

SO...you better not start it anymore, you could hydralock your engine and then its all over..............

Get a coolant system pressure tester...take out all 8 spark plugs and see which cylinder, if any, fills with coolant.

Don't start it any more..............

thanks for that, ill make sure i do that in the morning
Old 09-11-2010, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackmagicturbo
are you being serious ?
i didnt ask for the negative, just for a little assistance. take that somewhere else man
Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
if your seeing water come out the exhaust, that is normal....... are you sure its antifreeze or just moisture?
it drained all the anti freeze, i put water/anti freeze mix and it shows faintly in the water but you can smell it in the exhaust, and its not just moisture its alot...how much does an LT1 gasket kit run? im thinking around $200
Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might just be intake manifold gasket- some LT1's had this issue. Before tearing the whole thing apart and changing the head gaskets, try to pinpoint what is leaking like the other guys said. My friends '94 had the intake gasket leak on him and he fixed it in the driveway.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dash94vert
i didnt ask for the negative, just for a little assistance. take that somewhere else man
sorry man , I thought you might of been a kid playin around .. sorry about your motor !
Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely sounds like a blown head gasket... If you just want a quick fix, you could try anything with sodium silicate to fix it. But if you don't mind tearing into the top end of the motor, or you want a GOOD permanent fix, it's best to just replace all the top end gaskets.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Launching!

How many miles are on the car/motor?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Launching!

definatley not an intake. Intake is completely dry system, no coolant runs through it.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

sorry i late to respond ive been busy with school, but it was definitely the head gaskets the car has 133,4xx miles on it and before i bought it, it was sitting up for about a good 2 years with no care. but im just goin to replace all my top end gasket and my opti while im at it since it was going out. oh yeah and spark plugs and wires! It does suck to not be able to drive around my bucket right after i got my tags!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackmagicturbo
sorry man , I thought you might of been a kid playin around .. sorry about your motor !
nah im a kid who needed help lol thanks though, i just always like to clarify since everyone on this site seems to be guru's when it comes to things like this! so its better to ask then sit search and ponder all day!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM

How do you make your own post? I have a 01 grand marquis need help diagnosing. The check engine light is on and blinks every now and again. I drove it to my sisters about 10 minutes away and when i got there i smelled burning rubber and white smoke was coming from the engine. Oil is red...radiator is a bit foggy with a white tint...not milky white...a little transluscent but still white. White smoke comes from exhaust not thick smoke though. I think coolant is leaking from exhaust pipe...clear but has a slight faint sweet smell to the liquid dripping from the exhaust. Radiator also has brown stuff in it. Shakes excessively even more so when driving and pushing on the gas pedal.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shishi92
How do you make your own post? I have a 01 grand marquis need help diagnosing. The check engine light is on and blinks every now and again. I drove it to my sisters about 10 minutes away and when i got there i smelled burning rubber and white smoke was coming from the engine. Oil is red...radiator is a bit foggy with a white tint...not milky white...a little transluscent but still white. White smoke comes from exhaust not thick smoke though. I think coolant is leaking from exhaust pipe...clear but has a slight faint sweet smell to the liquid dripping from the exhaust. Radiator also has brown stuff in it. Shakes excessively even more so when driving and pushing on the gas pedal.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/newthread...ewthread&f=102

Quick Reply: Anti freeze coming out of my exhaust, and car starts pretty hard, what can this be?!