General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Metal particles in engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
Makes sense. Good advice.
This is good advice if you've actually interrogated your air filter and we can have some technical discussion to go along with the trivia that was presented.

Otherwise, it's all speculation - and at that point, we all might as well upgrade to Tornados and gain the incredible benefits of increased horsepower, better mileage, and engine longevity.

^ That sounds good, too.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
If the ECORE fails the engine will most likely suffer terminal damage.
This is completely and utterly false. One can run an engine completely without an oil filter and be just fine. People run engines for 100K miles without changing their original oil filter (or oil!) and the things don't self destruct.

^ These are not good ideas, but they are not immediate gloom and doom.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is completely and utterly false. One can run an engine completely without an oil filter and be just fine. People run engines for 100K miles without changing their original oil filter (or oil!) and the things don't self destruct.

^ These are not good ideas, but they are not immediate gloom and doom.
You have no idea what you are talking about....Do a little research yourself on Ecore oil filters before you state such facts you know nothing about.

Your advice at best is always amateur. I'm a pro trying to help people with real knowledge. one of the reasons I DON"T post up anymore is because of people like you with little to none real working knowledge poison these posts.

I'm out no more posts for me, Good Luck people.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

^^ WOW - Someone jumped on their menstrual cycle and is taking it for a ride

been using AC filters and Valvoline Max Life in all my cars. No issues and no metal on my drain plug.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Your advice at best is always amateur.

Your advice at best is always amateur. I'm a pro trying to help people with real knowledge. one of the reasons I DON"T post up anymore is because of people like you with little to none real working knowledge poison these posts.
I don't think I've given any advice here. (However; if anyone want's to buy a Tornado from me, I'll gladly facilitate the transaction!) I have challenged some assertions, so if my challenges are amateurish, they should be really easy to counter.

Help us out with some pro knowledge and evidence, if you have some. Why keep that working knowledge secret? Don't just show us the ending - show us how you got there.

You have no idea what you are talking about....Do a little research yourself on Ecore oil filters before you state such facts you know nothing about.
This is not a good excuse for avoiding putting facts together into a coherent conclusion.

I'm just trying to figure out why... with GM cars rolling off the lots with these AC Delco oil filters on them - we don't see oil filters failing commonly and engines suffering "terminal damage"???

Last edited by wssix99; 03-27-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the amount of mis information in this thread is seriously crazy.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
Wow, the amount of mis information in this thread is seriously crazy.
Help us out.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Help us out.
As I mentioned in post #26, that is not a normal amount of metal on a drain plug. That is all anyone can tell, no idea if there is some impending disaster, but that much metal is a signal to investigate further. I think that was the original question, then the topic sort of spun out of orbit. FYI, a fairly inexpensive way to keep some metal from recirculating is to place a filter magnet on the oil filter itself, then cut open the filter from time to time and take a look for shavings. You should not find any if your internals are in order. By the way, there is nothing wrong with AC Delco filters. The old 43 was one of the better filters you could run on a LS2 GTO.

Last edited by SJFGTO; 03-29-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 PM
Save the manuals!

a fairly inexpensive way to keep some metal from recirculating is to place a filter magnet on the oil filter itself
We've had some discussion about this in the long-ago past. I recall some of the thoughts were that a good filter media should stop the shavings from circulating and that a magnet might help keep the media from getting clogged up.

If a magnet in the oil filter and a magnet on the oil drain plug were to have similar amounts of shavings on them, that would be interesting...
Old 04-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Teching In

As I mentioned in post #26, that is not a normal amount of metal on a drain plug. That is all anyone can tell, no idea if there is some impending disaster, but that much metal is a signal to investigate further.
^^^ This.

Quick Reply: Metal particles in engine oil