General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant fill questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Coolant fill questions

I recently had a blown head gasket. 3-4 weeks after the repair my coolant level is barely on the resevoir dipstick. I haven't received a low coolant indicator but I obviously don't want to repeat that scenario. So what is the proper coolant level? I haven't pulled off the radiator cap due to simple paranois.

I was under the impression the coolant level would be right up under the overflow tube on the radiator, and the resevoir level would be at the cold level on the stick after sitting for a day (which it has).

Do I only top it off in the resevoir, and only with distilled water, and only until the cold mark? Do I add water directly to a cold radiator under any circumstances?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ostat_swap.htm

start from step 13. This is how to do a thermostat swap. But if you start from 13 it will tell you how to refill the coolant in the system.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Hmm, filling it 'to the top like the way you started the install' nor 'When you shut the car off you want the level to be at the top where it was when you started' aren't very scientific. Both assume the level was correct when the process began and assume there's air in the system.

All I want to do is top off the coolant, because the system was already bled. I guess if the system was already bled, then theoretically the radiator level should already be right below the overflow tube, in which case I can merely add water to the resevoir when cold - assuming the cap is functioning correctly.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
I always fill my reservoir to the HOT level regardless. Fill it with water only or water/coolant mix. Keep an eye on it. It should stay at that level if all the air is out of the system..

Last edited by Dustin Butts; 06-11-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say you really need to keep and eye on your coolant level until you are satisfied there is no leak and all the air pockets have been removed. Don't be afraid to take your radiator cap off any time it's cool. It won't hurt it in the least.

If you're using DexCool and the coolant level in your radiator is anything but right at the bottom of the cap, top it off with distilled water or premixed 50/50 distilled water/dexcool.

The level of your overflow isn't nearly as important as that there is always something in it. Don't let it go dry or air will go in and out of your radiator. THAT's where DexCool starts getting yucky. If you keep it kind of full and it pukes, no big deal. Clean it off and go on.

My .02.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The level below the radiator cap was a tad low, so I added distilled water up to the overflow tube. Then I added more water to the overflow up til the cold mark. While I was driving it today I could see that the overflow level was near the hot mark. So I guess it's OK for now.

I'm not anxious to have the coolant puke in the engine bay again. I still have orange dots which don't appear to come off as a result of the car sitting so long before it was cleaned after the gasket failure. It took a few weeks for that odor to burn off everything it touched. I wonder if I could market that scent as an air freshener?

Quick Reply: Coolant fill questions