General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bubbles on oil dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bubbles on oil dipstick?

I checked my oil level today after putting gas. the car was running and my scanmaster was showing 220F temps. when i 1st pulled up the dip stick, i did not notice any bubbles, i whiped it off, put it back in, pulled it out again and this time i saw small groups of tiny bubbles on the stick. I have never seen this before. I use 10w30 Mobil 1 Synthetic, its probably been 1k miles since oil change. What do these bubbles mean? I also notice at idle, my oil pressure shakes a little below the 40 line. The car doesnt feel like its idling bad, and runs fine with no knock.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com...up=OilAnalysis says bubbles on the dipstick could possibly indicate coolant leaking into the oil. Might be other possible causes for that symptom though, not sure.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

ok i took a look at my dip stick closely, there is nothing foreign, it looks like oil with just tiny bubbles in it. However, i noticed vapor or smoke coming out of the dipstick tube, and the same coming out of the oil fill tube. i smelled the oil on the dip stick, and smelled nothing like coolant, and i smelled the vapors/smoke same thing nothing like coolant. so im not sure whats going on. maybe blow by is heating the oil up so much?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change oil would be my guess.,., how many miles on the oil?
I had same thing on my dipstick, no coolant loss.,,. but 7K or so on the oil.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Change the oil and see if it's still a problem. I use mobil 1, but I use 5w-30.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

I had that same prob. Someone told me that if your oil is not changed timely then the oil can sweat, and Ialso heard about the coolant leak (warped head and such) so Mine happends rarely, not realy bubbles, but yellowish sludge every now and then, good luck . . .

Quick Reply: bubbles on oil dipstick?