General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Security light flashing - car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!!Security light flashing-CAR WONT START!!

yep...out of no where...came out friday morning to take her to work and nothing....security light is flashing as if its not reading the Chip...i tried both keys and nothing...attempted cleaning the contacts in ignition lock as well, still nothing...anyone run into this problem before that can shed some light on the subject?? before i tow it to the dealer. im thinkin ignition lock went bad wth the vap system..thanx in advance.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Teching In

I have the same issue, what did you find wrong? Any information would really be appreciated!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Do a search using SECURITY LIGHT I'm having the same issue. There is tons of info. Sound like your Ignition cylinder may be shot.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

if you leave the key in the on position for about 15 20 min or until the security is on solid or completely off, it should take care of it.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:02 AM
11 Second Club

yeah...it was the ignition lock cylinder...chances are thats the problem.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Use a digital multimeter and find out the resistance of the chip in your ignition key and go to RadioShack and buy a resistor of the same value. Then remove the driver's side knee bolster and find the wiring for the vats system. It's an orange sheathed one running down the steerig column and inside the sheathing are two small white wires. cut this and put a resistor between the two wires (not the set going to the ignition cylinder). This will bypass the vats system and you won't have to worry about this again. This is a very common problem with these cars because the wires break inside the column from turning the key (bad design by GM). Replacing the cylinder will also work but it will do the same thing eventually. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01CamaroV6
Use a digital multimeter and find out the resistance of the chip in your ignition key and go to RadioShack and buy a resistor of the same value. Then remove the driver's side knee bolster and find the wiring for the vats system. It's an orange sheathed one running down the steerig column and inside the sheathing are two small white wires. cut this and put a resistor between the two wires (not the set going to the ignition cylinder). This will bypass the vats system and you won't have to worry about this again. This is a very common problem with these cars because the wires break inside the column from turning the key (bad design by GM). Replacing the cylinder will also work but it will do the same thing eventually. Hope this helps.
thats another way to do it...but i didnt want to lose my security feature..
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

thanks all for the posts, I thought Iwas the only one not going when Iwanted to sometimes, I would just play with the remote till it goes off, takes bout 5min. (I played with it alot) . . .

Quick Reply: Security light flashing - car won't start!