General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Marvel Mystery Oil???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Marvel Mystery Oil???

What is this stuff and what is it supposed to do? The backyard mechanic that my dad is just put a bottle of this into his car (instead of going and getting the SES light scanned like I told him to). I'm just curious what this stuff is...never heard of it before and searching the internet didn't turn up a lot, other than it looks to be made by the same company that makes Turtle Wax.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

My dad loves this stuff also. I have never seen anything bad come of it. I'm not sure what kind of problem your dad is having, but though Marvel may not fix the problem, it shouldn't hurt anything. You can use it in the gas tank and it's helps clean the injectors and stuff, and I think you add it to oil as an extra lubricant also. I'm definitely not a Marvel Mystery oil expert, but my dad's used it on more vehicles than I can even remember and hasn't had any problems with it. And I did put it in my gas tank once when I was driving a ghetto Mazda 323 and it actually did run a little better.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's good stuff. Been around for more than half a century (maybe even closer to 100 years). It can be added to gas, oil, or though a vacuum line. When adding to gas it will clean & lubricate the top end of the engine. Through a vacuum line will clean & lube the intake & top end of the engine. Added to oil helps to clean galleries & the lower cylinder walls.

I use it all of the time. It is administered into my intake through a vacuum line via an inverse oiler. An inverse oiler basically adds a constant flow of vaporized MMO into the intake to constantly clean & lubricate the top end of the engine. Never have to clean the throttle body or intake & the top end of the engine remains clean & lubed. No performance problems either. Just keep the flow to an absolute minimum & too much oil isn't a problem.

Don't know if it's gonna fix the SES, but, it's not a bad try.

Last edited by LS1-450; 10-18-2005 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Not bad stuff...but I would bet it doesn't fix his problem. Tell him to take it to Autozone (if they are in MD) and have it scanned for free... Don't put bandaids on things that need replacement
Old 10-18-2005, 06:40 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get the code scanned!!

Regarding the Marvel Mystery Oil:

http://www.joesherlock.com/Motor-Oil.html or http://www.joesherlock.com/blog-2004-09.html
Marvel Mystery Oil ... was introduced in 1923 and came in quart cans with two color printing - black and red-orange. The cans - I have a childhoood memory of them pyramid-stacked at the end of the aisle at Pep Boys - always reminded me of Halloween. The graphics were very bad - busy and jumbled - but were visible on shelves three aisles away. Marvel Mystery Oil "combats internal motor rust and corrosion, lubricates valves, piston rings, upper cylinder walls, and eliminates valve sticking. Keeps rings free and reduces piston and cylinder wear. Also keeps fuel pump and carburetor parts clean, eliminating the need for frequent adjusting. Marvel Mystery Oil retards formation of power dissipating motor deposits, such as gums, varnish, and sludge." ... Originally produced by Emerol Manufacturing Co. of New York City, Marvel Mystery Oil is now owned by Turtle Wax. MMO still has a following. Judson used to use it for lubricating their superchargers. Chicago Pneumatics recommends it for their line of industrial air tools.
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=15438
My lesson in History of MMO came from an old Harley/Vincent motorcycle rider/mechanic and machine shop owner. (George Brey served with Patton in WWII) He says that MMO was originally invented back in the early 1920's as as a supercharger lubricant for racing and for planes. As the air/fuel mixture came into the supercharger (blower for the drag guys) it was compressed by spinning vanes so that more of the mixture could be "charged" into thru the intake manifold and into the cylinders. Problem was that air/ruel is not a good lubricant and as the vanes spun by the inside of the supercharger housing both the vanes and the housing would be worn away ultimately negating the performance of the "charger." MMO mixed with fuel provides a "burnable" lubricant that coats the vanes and housing thus thus extending and improving the perfomance life of the "charger." It is also an excellent top cylinder cleansing agent, keeping valves, heads, and piston tops free of carbon, varnish, and corrosive materials. Taking apart an engine that had MMO in the fuel and crankcase shows it keeps the internals "clean as a hound's tooth." Says George as he nods as if passing on an old hidden secret. All I can say is it works on all my 7's and boingers. It's great for starting flooded rotaries. Nowhere near as smokey as ATF, and since it was designed to be burned, it's better for your rotary than ATF which wasn't meant to be burned.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...mysteryoil.jsp
WHEN ADDED TO GASOLINE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL:
Cleans and lubricates fuel injectors and carburetors
Improves gasoline mileage
Reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up
Extends spark plug life
Safe for catalytic converters and oxygen sensors

WHEN MARVEL MYSTERY OIL IS ADDED TO DIESEL:
Increases fuel mileage
Cleans and keeps fuel pumps, injectors and nozzles free from harmful residues
Reduces upper cylinder wear
Promotes longer piston ring life
Retards souring of diesel and lubricates entire engine system

WHEN ADDED TO MOTOR OIL:
Prevents valve sticking and clatter
Fortifies properties of engine oil, prevents breakdown caused by extreme temperatures
Promotes easier cold weather starts
Reduces and prevents acid and sludge formation

WHEN ADDED TO MARINE ENGINES
can be used on inboard and outboard engines
aids in winterizing other engine lubricants
protects against oil congealing
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0002JMNQ8/
This stuff works better then most of the fuel system cleaners on the market today. It will also work as an oil system cleaner, assembly lube, and general maintenance lubricant. Marvel's mystery oil also makes an air tool oil which works equally as well. This is an old tried & true product. Very good buy!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

basically like seafoam. i guess
Old 10-19-2005, 07:58 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

A friend of mine bought an old 40-something truck that smoked big time. (stuck rings). MMO applied to the cylinders freed the rings up. After a minor tune up he turned around and sold the old truck and made a killing.

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil???