General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cooling Fan Runs on Start Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling Fan Runs on Start Up?

Well I have kind of a strange question. But sometimes on cold start up, like the first time i go out and start my car for the day my cooling fan will run for maybe 10-20 seconds then shut off. I havent really noticed it but lately. It usually has to be decently warm outside and sitting in the sun, so I dont know if the sun beating down on the hood heats something up that makes it run periodically or what but the coolant temp will be way down cause its the first time the had been run for that day so i know that its not warm enough to kick the fan on obviously. So if anyone has ever ran into this before or would know if anything is wrong I would really appreciate it. THanx Ben
Old 03-18-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car does that too, when it's warm outside. I have LEDs wired to my fan switch and can see the low speed fans light come for a few seconds.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i take it it is normal then. Does the heat from the sun hitting the hood heat up the coolant temp sensor so it kicks it in right away then once the coolant starts flowing after you start it, it hits the sensor and turns it off?