General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil Pressure?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil Pressure?!

Ok guys I've got an oil pressure question, was driving home messin around with a Audi TT on the hwy and beatin on the car pretty hard, oil pressure was OK then...

well then I hit some traffic and am sitting around for about 30 mins and notice my oil pressure gauge start to flutter around a little bit and drop close to 20 psi, this is VERY abnormal for my car, I rarely see the oil pressure below about 35ish.

Well after freaking out for about 20 mins in traffic I got home and assumed I had probably just burned alot of oil messing around on the hwy, checked the oil and it was lower, but still within the "operating range" cross hatches. So WTF gives...

Here's another piece of maybe important info... for the first time ever yesterday I cleaned my motor, simple green + hose + leaf blower = clean motor. You think I might have screwed my oil pressure sending unit a bit ??

After this experience I kind of just want to get an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge, but if my oil pressure sending unit is screwed is it a big deal to just leave it? or does the engine computer rely on it for something ?

Thanks guys
Old 04-23-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put an oil pressure gauge on it and compare readings from the tool to the one in the car. Then go from there.

I bought a gauge that can also check tranny line prssure. It is a great tool well worth the money. You can't really count on the dash gauge

As far as engine cleaning I doubt you hurt anything. Probably a bad sending unit.