General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can plastic gas tank be repaired?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can plastic gas tank be repaired?????

A couple days after i bought my 01 ss the ses light came on. I checked the code and it turned out to be a small evaporative leak. My friend works for a for dealer and ran a smoke test. The smoke started coming out from on top of the gas tank. I decided to the work my self. I brought the gas tank down I quikly noticed there were punctures on the sheetmetal above the tank. Someone must of screwed something down. Anyways I quikly noticed a hole about an 1/8 wide on a plastic tube{ it's the black cap with a tube were one hose goes to the tank and the other to the canister]. I don't know if this cap is removable or not I tried to unscrew it but no luck it seems like it's part of the gas tank. Can I repair this small plastic hole or can this cap be removed. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanx
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Ive never had my tank down so i really dont understad what part your trying to repair. If its the metal part J B weld has a newer product that is called waterweld and it claims u can repair gas tanks w/it. It sold at ACE but it might be sold at other places.

If its the plastic your looking to repair I know there are a number of products that should hold it. Is it hard plastic or like a soft tube? Sorry i cant help further.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls14pwr
Ive never had my tank down so i really dont understad what part your trying to repair. If its the metal part J B weld has a newer product that is called waterweld and it claims u can repair gas tanks w/it. It sold at ACE but it might be sold at other places.

If its the plastic your looking to repair I know there are a number of products that should hold it. Is it hard plastic or like a soft tube? Sorry i cant help further.

Yeap, It's hard plastic and it seems like hard part to get. I think it's just better to fix it than to replace, not sure how it comes if it even does. What do you recommend for hard plastic.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If this is an EVAP tube then probably a few wraps of
electrical tape would suffice (they also have some
electrical tape that fuses to itself over time, make
more of a semi-permanent repair). If it's in a straight
run of tubing this'd cover it. If the hold is in this "cap"
then maybe more tricky, want either an adhesive or
melt the plastic (plastic welders are out there but an
investment that maybe isn't warranted here; a low
heat soldering iron and some donor material might do
for air-tightness though not structural strength). I've
cobbled together broken thermoplastic in this way
before (still waffling on whether to buy a plastic welder).
Old 05-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

I would go with a two part epoxy. I have used regular JB weld on plastic before and the stuff works pretty good. There is also a couple other two part epoxys made specifically for plastic. I would go to ACE (a little more friendly than H.D. of lowes) and see if any one there has had more experience with the specific exopys they have to offer for plastic. Whatever you choose to use make sure you prepare the surface of the plastic before useing the epoxy. Just like detailing a car the more prep work the better it turns out.