General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help Quick! Water Pump Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Quick! Water Pump Issue!

So I broke down and got stranded in canda because of my water pump. They said the shaft gears were stripped and the propeller was not spinning, they got a new pump, and shaft and installe it. I just called and now they said call back in an hour cuz they need to replace the 0-rings ( I think it's a gasket for the water pump) , they say it's leaking oil..................................now is this true or is he just bull shitting me to get payed more?? POST QUICKLY

What is this o ring thats leaking oil, is it from teh shaft, timing chain cover or.........? HELP i can't be ripped off.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

The shaft that drives the water pump impeller on the LT1 uses 2 o-rings to seal out dirt and crud. They are not BSing you. They may also want to change the seal in the timing cover where the water pump drive gear comes out of the cover to prevent the possibility of an oil leak.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I had these idiots do my water pump at canadian tire and they screw up this seal. Said it was leaking oil behind the water pump so they got new seals and such. They were "special" seals for the water pump shaft.

Here is the first link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/516496-need-help-water-pump-issue.html

Anyways I really needed to take my car home today. (detroit michigan) They said watch my oil level that it might still be dripping. Well I check under my car today and low and behold, oil under my car. Now what do I need to do that they didn't.

http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg

There is a good picture of the seals that go in each side of teh shaft (at the top of the picture)

How do I seat the seals properly and make sure it DOESN"T LEAK! I hope to god it doesn't cover my opti with oil and screw that up as well. And yes I know it's smart to get an opti and cap+rotor after a water pump is done.

Please Help. I don't think I have too long.