General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Jacking Car Up - Tranny Work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking Car Up - Tranny Work?

Quick Q's ...

Im dropping the tranny and installing an LS7 clutch setup.

How high should I realistically be looking to get the car ... 1 1/2 - 2ft? Higher? Most Jacks stands Ive come across only go to about 22inches or so ... and these are the 'tall premium brand' ones you find at generic autoshops (Autozone, crappytire).

As for Jacking the car up ... my jack doesnt go that high ... 18inches max. Should I be looking at buying another Jack ($100+ and most dont go above 20inches abyways), or what I was thinking was jacking the car up to 18inches ... putting the stands on all 4 sides ... and then putting a piece of wood between the jack and the car and jacking it up to 19 on all sides ... then 20 on all sides ... etc until the stands are maxed out.

Makes sense? Im I totally off course here? Put the jack down and step away from the car ... ?

Thanks guys,
Old 06-10-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i just put on headers and exhaust, and to get your whole body under the car your going to need 18-25 inches. i would say 18 is cutting it a bit short, because you wont have too much room to work and move around. i would try reversing the car onto ramps and then lifting the front up as far as you can. dont do anything stupid though, like putting wood on the jacks, because thats just risking your life. if i was you i would see if someone around you has truck jack stands and see if you can borrow them. my buddy came over to help me out and his jacks lifted up 28 inches, we had PLENTY room for 3 of us to get under there. i would spend the $120 rather than risk my life, but see if anybody has some you can borrow, and if not ask a shop if you can use their hydraulic lift and pay em $50, i did that once
Old 06-10-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done a clutch swap with rhino ramps on the rear tires, and regular jackstands on the front that were around mid-height (probably 18). Very stable, but it would have been better for access to get a little higher.

by the way, rent a transmission jack, or somehow rig something to stabilize the trans on your regular jack. life will be 10000x more difficult if you dont.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of people putting wood on the head of the jack but from what you said it sounds like you are talking about putting it on the bottom. Yea, that would be bad!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Definetly not at the bottem!

We tried it on friday in my garage ... got the car up to 20inches no problem ... lots of space under the car.

However, my PaceSetter Y-Pipe will need to be cut in order to drop the tranny ... which i dont have the tools for. So we aborted and will have to take her to a DIY shop.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

70 dollar sawsall at the hardware store? You can cut pretty straight with them if you take your time. Maybe you mean it needs to be dented?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

I picked up a kwiklift and the thing gets the car high and level. It is a bit heavy but is portable and you can park on it if not using it. I'm busy cleaning underneath the car since this is something I've been able to do with just ramps.