General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

still having fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default still having fuel problems

i posted this up a few weeks ago. i was on the way to ohio and my car dies in the middle of the highway. while i'm waiting on the flatbed, i try to start it and it fires but quits again. after i let it sit for a day, i start it and it's fine for two weeks. even went to the dragstrip and raced. then i get back home and it starts acting up. i was letting the car idle in the parking lot at the mall, and it just dies. then last night, i was goin for a drive, and it doesn't even make it a 1/2 mile from my house. i get the flatbed to come get it again, and i fires up and i back it off the flatbed under it's own power and it idles for 15 minutes until i turn it off. however, i can hear the fuel pump kicking on and off before i start the car. not the normal priming hum, but on and off. then i heard some buzzing and popping coming from under the hood where the fuel pump fuse is. i'm thinking it could be a realy but i'm not sure. anyone have any feedback? also, how big a deal is this to fix?

---bill
Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

...throwing any codes? The weird noise does sound like a fuel delivery issue but I had a similar isssue that turned out to be a bad PCM. I did not have any noises, however.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

nope. no codes are being stored. the problem is right at the box where the fuel pump fuse or relay is.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Teching In

my 2000 ss has got the noise also but mine is not dying it will run i just wander if that noise is normal prob. not have you checked your MAF to see if its dirty or did you just recently port your TB i wish could help you more have you checked your fuel pressure by chance and btw im from wva also
Old 07-12-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

i know there is no fuel pressure because the pump kicks on and off. i just don't know if it's a problem with the pump itself or the electronics that control it.