General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak?

First time the car has seen measureable rain (more than just drizzle) and I get to work and i hear hissing from the exhaust and see some steam. So I look under the car and the connection from the headers to the cat is steaming pretty good. Is that a good sign that I have an exhaust leak there and need to tighten the bolts up? I've never seen/heard it do this before. Not sure if it is even anything to worry about.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like an exhaust leak, put your hand by it and see if you can feel the exhaust coming out there.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well there are no gaskets or anything there... so would it just be caused by the nuts backing out a little bit? I mean, how else could an exhaust leak start there? I doubt the heat would be enough to warp either side of the flange... its pretty thick metal.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfs95z28
Well there are no gaskets or anything there... so would it just be caused by the nuts backing out a little bit? I mean, how else could an exhaust leak start there? I doubt the heat would be enough to warp either side of the flange... its pretty thick metal.
Lots of headers can leak where they meet the y-pipe, I had an awful time with mine. Besides seeing it, it can make a tick tick tick noise (that's what finally drove me insane).

You said it is flanged...if there is no gasket there, that may be the problem (unless it's a ball flange?). Mine were slip fit, problem was I could never get the clamps tight enough, so I ended up just welding them all together.

Try tightening the bolts, using a gasket and see if that helps.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

yeah im getting really tired of my Y pipe ticking on the drivers side header/ Y pipe meets, im gonna get a X pipe put on and prolly have them tack the X pipe on and then band clamp it so i can take the X pipe off once i do my converter.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

No, no no... the connection i am talking about is where the Y-pipe meets the catalytic converter... THAT connection has no gasket that I am aware of. The nuts on the studs that connect the flange of the y-pipe to the cat have backed out before, that is what Im thinking may have happened, not sure why it keeps happening tho...

I know what you guys mean with that slip fit... that has given me fits! I have already dealt with header/y-pipe connection problems. Those were fixed awhile ago.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

well with the cat get some RTV sealant and put it inbetween the two connections and that should seal any leak up.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

interesting idea... ill see if it is even leaking first, if it is, i should be able to feel air coming out of there somewhere. Otherwise, it must have been just really wet... i dunno.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

no air coming out and everything was tight as hell... not sure why it was steaming.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

probably just cold water on hot pipes, steam will occur if that happens.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a header leak due to 2 bolts not being in because of 2 crossthreaded bolt holes on the passenger side. I don't know if I can heli-coil it w/o pulling the head, or if tapping it will do the trick.