General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WOOT Found GC 0w30!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WOOT Found GC 0w30!!!

Its that time to change the oil, so I figured I'd go to the local Autozone to see if I can find GC 0w30. I wasn't expecting to find it, especially since this is the only Autozone close to me. So I stroll down to the oils and they had about 25 quarts! I asked them if they get it regularly, and they said "Yes, we carry it all the time." So I bought 6 quarts (b/c this is my first time using it and I want to see if it lives up to all the hype before I stock up on the stuff). If I see an improvement over using M1 5w30, I'll go back for the rest just in case they stop carrying it.

And before I put this stuff in, I did get the right oil right? I'm sure I did, it says "Made in Germany" on the back, and "European Formula" on the front. You can never be too careful.

LOL you should have seen my face light up when I saw they had it, it felt like I won the lottery.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

If it says "Made in Germany" it's the right stuff.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is the right stuff.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have went to 5 autozones only 2 carry it. They only carry a case at a time (6 quarts) and they supposed to reorder autocmatically. I don't know its hard to find.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Launching!

I went to two Autozones in my area about 6 miles apart and one had it and the other didnt?? Both are pretty big stores. I bought six bottles and changed it today. Took a ride for about 25 miles and pulled it in the garage. I could notice an immediate improvement with the ticking noise. My pressure as well seemed to go somewhat higher. So far I am impressed.

On another note the one AZ store had a bottle almost identical to this one that was a 0W30 full synthetic but it didnt say European Formula or made in Germany....it said made in the US with 'imported components' or something like that. Anyone know what this one is? Is Castrol maybe importing and bottling the oil in the US now? Because a week ago the same AZ store had the GC 0W30 European Formula and at the time I didnt buy it but when I went back they had this other 0W30 in the exact same slot on the rack for the exact same price? Just curious if anyone has seen this.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY02REDWS6TA
On another note the one AZ store had a bottle almost identical to this one that was a 0W30 full synthetic but it didnt say European Formula or made in Germany....it said made in the US with 'imported components' or something like that. Anyone know what this one is? Is Castrol maybe importing and bottling the oil in the US now? Because a week ago the same AZ store had the GC 0W30 European Formula and at the time I didnt buy it but when I went back they had this other 0W30 in the exact same slot on the rack for the exact same price? Just curious if anyone has seen this.
Don't get the one that says made in the USA. From what I've read, its junk. Stick to the "Made in Germany" Castrol Syntec 0w30, because they are two completely different oils.

I made the change today to the GC 0w30 w/ an M1 extended performance oil filter and after driving around for a bit, I noticed that the motor is running much quieter and the only noise I can hear now are my LTs and TDs lol. The oil pressure raised a little, and it seems to be running smoother. So far I'm impressed with this oil and I think this will be the only oil that my LS1 will see as long as I can keep getting it. I've read in another post that Castrol is going to raise the price of their oil very soon . So it looks like I'm going back to autozone tomorrow to get the 15-20 quarts they have in stock before the price change. I'll also find out if its true that autozone charges $3.99 a quart for the GC 0w30 if you get more than 9 bottles.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

If someone knows where to find this stuff in Houston,Texas please let me know i looked at alot of autozones with no luck
PM me are something.
Thanks In Advance.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah, a mobil 1 5W-30 user switching over. mobil 1 5W-30 may be a 0W-20. that stuff's like water. it's far too thin for the LS1. you're gonna see a big decrease or maybe even an elimination of the famed LS1 tick; i'd be willing to bet on it. it's also cheaper than mobil 1 best of luck and make sure to post your results!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be sticking with M! 5-30, that light 0-30 scares me. And I never liked Castrol oil, its formulated for imports!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
I'll be sticking with M! 5-30, that light 0-30 scares me. And I never liked Castrol oil, its formulated for imports!
haha, the 0W-30 is TONS thicker than mobil 1 5W-30. listen, the 0 in front is the COLD START weight. they have the same warm weight, however, mobil 1 is on the thin side of a 30 weight while the castrol is on the thick side of a 30 weight. the mobil 1 is actually near a 0W-20 while the castrol is near a 0W-40. wrap your mind around that. i wouldn't put mobil 1 5W-30 in my car if it was FREE, and i swear on that. it's a poor oil choice for an LS1. this is why people say their LS1's tick. you're putting water in your engine. it's not a bad oil per say, it's just a very poor choice for an LS1. it's far too thin. i'd never let that **** touch my engine.

oil formulated overseas is better than our oil. our oil has less regulations. german oil is STRICTLY REGULATED. the base in castrol syntec MADE IN GERMANY 0W-30 blows away anything mobil has EVER made. mobil 1 has the quality of dog urine compared to this stuff.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Ant. what Autozone did you get this at? Is it the one on 37?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
I have said this in other threads and I will say it again here. Use whatever oil you want in your own car that is your business but know what your talking about before making totally inaccurate statements as you did in your first sentence above. Tests have shown that the German Castrol 0W-30 is a thicker oil than the M1 5W-30. In fact the M1 is closer to a 20 weight oil at temperature than a 30 weight.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
Hey Ant. what Autozone did you get this at? Is it the one on 37?
you talkin to me?

i get it at the one on the white horse pike, route 30 after the exit to route 73 right after the Atco Multiplex movie theater. it's about 2 miles or so further up the road on the left (you make that first right at the light on route 73 to get to atco raceway). it's by the light for berlin-cross keys road in the shopping plaza on the left with Risquee Video, the **** video rental store

there's also another autozone another 10 miles up the road on the white horse pike in Lawnside on the right, across from the shopping center with home depot in it. i've found GC 0W-30 there, also.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you talkin to me?

i get it at the one on the white horse pike, route 30 after the exit to route 73 right after the Atco Multiplex movie theater. it's about 2 miles or so further up the road on the left (you make that first right at the light on route 73 to get to atco raceway). it's by the light for berlin-cross keys road in the shopping plaza on the left with Risquee Video, the **** video rental store

there's also another autozone another 10 miles up the road on the white horse pike in Lawnside on the right, across from the shopping center with home depot in it. i've found GC 0W-30 there, also.
Hey thanks, now I know of two other places to get it from, but I was talkin to the thread starter Thats quite a trip for me just to get oil, but by the way everyone praises it, I might have to swing by when I'm out there next if I can't find it local.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Resident

Hey thanks, now I know of two other places to get it from, but I was talkin to the thread starter Thats quite a trip for me just to get oil, but by the way everyone praises it, I might have to swing by when I'm out there next if I can't find it local.
oh, ****. you said Ant, which happens to be my name, plus you live in south jersey, which is where i happen to live (near egg harbor city/hammonton area). so i put two and two together...and apparently got five

why, where do you get it from? vineland on landis ave? black horse pike route 322 in williamstown? am i gettin warmer
Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Hey thanks, now I know of two other places to get it from, but I was talkin to the thread starter

Yeah, the one on 37. Speaking of which, where have you been? I haven't seen you out there for a long time.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
oh, ****. you said Ant, which happens to be my name, plus you live in south jersey, which is where i happen to live (near egg harbor city/hammonton area). so i put two and two together...and apparently got five

why, where do you get it from? vineland on landis ave? black horse pike route 322 in williamstown? am i gettin warmer
Well kinda, but not really. Route 37 in Toms River. You live down by the A.C area, but out west a little more? I'm not familiar with that area at all. Except Atco
Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID

Yeah, the one on 37. Speaking of which, where have you been? I haven't seen you out there for a long time.
Ok cool, I'm gonna hafta go up there Monday. I haven't been out in a long time. There's always a lot of traffic n cops during the summer so I stay away kinda. I heard there was a big meet at the McDonalds on 37 and cruise kinda thing going on August 19th. Hear anything about that?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Ok cool, I'm gonna hafta go up there Monday. I haven't been out in a long time. There's always a lot of traffic n cops during the summer so I stay away kinda. I heard there was a big meet at the McDonalds on 37 and cruise kinda thing going on August 19th. Hear anything about that?
, I've only been out a couple times myself this summer because the cops have been cracking down big time lately. I haven't heard anything about a cruise/meet, but I might make a few passes down 37 that night, so I'll see if anythings happening.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Resident

Well kinda, but not really. Route 37 in Toms River. You live down by the A.C area, but out west a little more? I'm not familiar with that area at all. Except Atco
i may as well be right in the middle of tom's river and cape may. i live around the hammonton area. i bought my first car on tom's river, if i remember right it was ~exit 80 or 81 on the garden state parkway. tom's river is a 45-hour drive from my home. i'm not 100% sure what exit i am off the parkway since i've honestly only driven the parkway once since i've had my license..and it's been over 3 years

now the AC EXPRESSWAY on the other hand....i've driven that more times than i can remember...exit 28

usually when i see "jersey shore" i think of atlantic city, ocean city, ventnor, margate, brigantine...not *cough* tom's river! jersey shore my ***