General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

battery pretty much blew up

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery pretty much blew up

well, it was acting a little funny a couple days ago, all the idiot lights lit up for a second, like when you start the car up, and the trip reset itself, i should have known it had something to do witht he battery, well last night it was worse, the car would cut out under acceleration, then one time, it just shut off. and when i pulled over the battery was smoking and bubbling. anyone have any ideas? i was going to take the alternator off and get it tested @ discount.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Just replace the battery.

I had the samething and the guy at the store mumbled someting about GM overtightening something at the factory that causes some batteries to fail like that. He was kind of like Milton on office space so I could'nt really understand him.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn, really? its in the shop now, i think its going to need new terminal wires, because the acid dissolved some of the rubber.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The easiest way to test an alternator is to disconnect the battery while the car is running. If the altenator is doing it's job, then the car will continue to run. Not sure if this helps you at all but thought it was good info to pass on.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sills1
The easiest way to test an alternator is to disconnect the battery while the car is running. If the altenator is doing it's job, then the car will continue to run. Not sure if this helps you at all but thought it was good info to pass on.
I have heard people say this before. I really don't understand. Why does the car die when its not even using the battery while driving? What does the battery do when you are driving? Or better yet, why did the thread starters car die while driving when the alternator powers the car when its running.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If a battery blows up, it would cause a short which would probably (most likely) kill the car.

The altenator charges the battery while the car is running, right. Well, when you play your stereo or use other electrical loads, the battery takes up the slack. The altenator is always pumping electrons and they travel straight from the altenator to the load. That is why you can disconnect the battery while the car is running if there isn't too much of a load on the altenator.