General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

front wheel bearings - Are they Serviceable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front wheel bearings - Are they Serviceable?

I know the wheel bearings are enclosed on these cars but isn't there a way to take that cover off the spindle to access the bearings to re-grease them or check for wear? I've got 138,000 miles and run the car hard in the corners daily so I'm sure they need a service or replacement.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

They are non-servicable units that include the ABS sensors inside. That way they can charge you more for them. You can get them from Auto Zone and they are easy to replace. An electrical clip and four bolts, once you get the wheel and brakes off.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
I know the wheel bearings are enclosed on these cars but isn't there a way to take that cover off the spindle to access the bearings to re-grease them or check for wear? I've got 138,000 miles and run the car hard in the corners daily so I'm sure they need a service or replacement.
You can't regrease/repack, but you can check them for wear. Just jack the car up so the front wheels are free and off the ground. Grab each one and try to wiggle it up and down. If there's any movement it's probably the bearing. Move the wheels left and right(front and back) to check for tie-rod wear while you're down there.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Changing them is simple Plug and Play. If you have that many miles, drive it hard and are concerned about them then change them. But there is probably nothing wrong with them.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The dealer said they were $265.00 a piece, damn I hate GM sometimes. Well I've got a vibration coming from the front end at over 50 mph. I've replaced the brakes, pads, rotors, calipers and brackets, checked front end alignment, re-balanced the tires, checked the tie rod ends and can't find anything. I'm getting a squeeking sound from the front, left side of the car that sounds like a chewed up wheel bearing so I'll tear into it this weekend and see for sure if that's the problem.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

are lt1 cars the same? the whole unit comes out and just replace it?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ROB2000
are lt1 cars the same? the whole unit comes out and just replace it?
Don't see why they'd be any different.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask for the ones with the high speed grease.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

The dealer said they were $265.00 a piece, damn I hate GM sometimes. Well I've got a vibration coming from the front end at over 50 mph. I've replaced the brakes, pads, rotors, calipers and brackets, checked front end alignment, re-balanced the tires, checked the tie rod ends and can't find anything. I'm getting a squeeking sound from the front, left side of the car that sounds like a chewed up wheel bearing so I'll tear into it this weekend and see for sure if that's the problem.
If your front hubs have any play to them, you will probably need new ones. The autozone replacement ones would be fine.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I just paid $226/ea (incl. shipping) for new GM hubs. Not a drop in the bucket, but a bit better. I'm not convinced the Autozone/Pep Boys-type hubs are as good.