General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Backfire

I've still got this issue. And no one seems to have any idea where to even start. So I took it into a mechanic's shop the other day, whom replaced a bad O2 sensor and somehow the bill was $300..

Not the point of the story.. Just one of those "i got fcked by the mechanic" stories...

Ok, so by replacing the 02 sensor, it cleared the code for engine misfires, and my car no longer backfires in between gears. But on downshift, I'm poping the entire time. The mechanic said that since I had blocked the clean air inlet located at the top of the headers (because i was told to, and they are aftermarket) that it will backfire while downshifting and what not because that was what the clean air was for....

Any ideas?? Because I'm sure that many Camaro owners have blocked this clean air inlet and don't ever backfire..
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah that air port is there to warm the cats up faster, has nothing to do with backfiring at all; the guy's a buffoon/tool.

Mine pops too, it's pretty much the nature of a free flowing exhaust when you're at speed and let off the gas. Unspent fuel makes it into the exhaust gasses and ignites towards the end of the exhaust system. I've had it with all my exhausts(been through 3 kinds now).
Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Yeah that air port is there to warm the cats up faster, has nothing to do with backfiring at all; the guy's a buffoon/tool.

Mine pops too, it's pretty much the nature of a free flowing exhaust when you're at speed and let off the gas. Unspent fuel makes it into the exhaust gasses and ignites towards the end of the exhaust system. I've had it with all my exhausts(been through 3 kinds now).

its true. I only have a cat back but if the car is off for say an hour. Any unspent fuel usually cause a slight pop or backfire. Also if the car is cold and i do not let it warm up. Its bad haha. There is nothing really to worry about here
Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

I just hate it... When I get on it, it seems that whenever I pass some cute girls is right when I need to change gears... and POP POP... she thinks I'm shooting a gun at her or something
Old 03-21-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BR1060
POP POP... she thinks I'm shooting a gun at her or something
Women really dig you if they think you're trying to kill them.