General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I think I have an electrical short?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have an electrical short?

I've been having a small problem with my car starting. If I let the car set for an hour or more, about half the time it doesn't want to start. It acts like it's getting enough voltage but it won't get to the point of turning over. I put in a new battery and had the alternator checked out and both are fine. It only seems to do it about half the time but when it doesn't start, then you might as well give up because most of the time it won't until you jump it. The weird thing is that when I jump it, it'll start right up but the battery checks out fine. I'm thinking it's some sort of short in one of my wires but just wanting to see if anyone had any suggestions before I have it looked at?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ever thought about a bad ground wire?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, but when I had the battery tested, he hooked up to the ground wire and said it was grounded ok.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wires running near the passengers side header.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I think it's a bad battery wire. It wouldn't start again today so I jumped it and it fired right up so I think it's a bad wire and it's not getting enough voltage to get it to turn over all the way. When I first turn on my car, the battery gauge reads like it doesn't have that much battery power either but on the times it does start, then the guage will jump right up as soon as it starts.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

It sounds to me like it could be one of two things. Either you have an intermittant bad connection to the battery. Vibrations will make it come and go. Try wiggling all your battery connections when you have trouble starting. I have seen this happen lots of times in my other cars.

Or....

you have excessive current draw when your car is off. If you have a current meter, put it in series with the main feed with the car off. Your current should be in the 100mA range. Don't try to start your car with the current meter in the circuit...