General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Vibration issue tied to temperature??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration issue tied to temperature??

This problem is weird...I'll try to explain it well. I'm really hoping it will trigger some knowledge or experience in someone who knows exactly what's causing this instead of having to go through random hit and miss troubleshooting of dissassembling, testing, and on and on. Hey I can hope! ;-)
I have a rebuilt 4l60e w/ transgo shift kit. In 3rd gear my car will do a pulse or a vibration that I can feel and hear, almost as if it's coming from the exhaust or driveline or trans. Like beneath me. From about 2100 to 2400 rpm. The pulse will lengthen or shorten, speed up or slow down somewhat tied to rpm in that gear. I don't think it does it in 2nd - can't seem to make it happen and it doesn't do it in 4th. It doesn't seem to actually go through the brake pedal or steering wheel - it's not particularly violent, just generally from the tranny area or driveline...Above those rpms there's no discerrnable vibration. Here's what's weird: The problem vanishes sometimes and I would say when the car warms up fully - 170* It's fairly inconsistent though so it's hard to nail down a description. Maybe a torque converter thing? The trans is a *little overfilled with fluid but the local trans shop told me that shouldn't cause any problems. I haven't actually taken the car to anyone though to be checked out.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

dood I feel your pain and I have no idea where its comming from..

I Have a 6 speed and mine does this vibration at idel.. sitting still but my rmps arent going anywhere like a thump thump thump noise but somedays it wont do it but then it will do it but mine is only at idel sitting at redlights or just sitting still in a parking lot or in the drive way the thumps go away under a load so I have no freaking clue I changed my transmisson mount and the noise still happens now and again..

My friends are all like well your water temp and your oil pressure is fine drive the **** out of it .. ..

Most on here will say its a transmount or a motor mount but i have replaced my transmount and if it was a motor mount you would be able to hear it as you give it hell..

mabey we can draw up some attention and get someone that has had these problems before give us some answers...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

also feels like its comming from the front left.. through the brake pedal..
Old 03-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like we have different vibration issues but thanks for the bump and good luck with yours! I was actually thinking of reposting my issue because it may not be temperature related. Well it's probably not because I can't get a real consistency going to explain it well. It seems to go away sometimes but it's possible I'm just not driving under the same conditions. It does it most of the time lol. The vibration speeds up before it shifts into OD then all is smooth as if tied to RPM's. I'm going to test drive the **** out of it this weekend and see if I can't explain exactly under what circumstances the vibration occurs and doesn't. I'm also going to refresh myself on all the vibration threads - see if any have been updated and whatnot. I don't want to replace bearings or something because I kept driving through some easily fixable condition...
Maybe someone can give me tips on how to test for vibrations to confirm engine related, tranny related, etc. I'll be looking through the other threads though - I know I've seen things about how to narrow down the origin.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

good luck on finding the answer..