General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Possible? LT install, No Cats, No Sims, No Tune, NO REAR O2 CODES

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible? LT install, No Cats, No Sims, No Tune, NO REAR O2 CODES

I had some QTP LTs and ORY installed in my '99 Z28. No cats, tune or sims. But, the rear O2s (which dont even exist as my car only has two front O2s) don't throw any codes.

Is that possible? Shouldn't it at least throw a No Signal type code?

Also, I could only find one rear O2 harness. Did '99s only have one rear O2?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

There are two rear sensors, even in the 99's. How long have the headers been installed? Sometimes it takes a few trips for a car to produce an SES light.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Since you said it didn't have rear O2's to begine with, maybe the previous owner had them tuned out, and that's why there's no codes??
Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks and thanks.

I had the headers installed several hundred miles ago. I can not find that other harness.

I'm getting an SES light for other codes such as EGR (installed LS6 too).

In my other thread down below, i told the story of having front O2 codes, and I found that they were bad AND swaped (drivers and passenger's sides).
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have LT's not cats dual exhaust ect. rear 02 deleted. anyhow my car didnt initially throw any codes. then one day ses just popped up. 2-3 times the ses has popped up and its never beenbecause of a bad 02. one a splice in the 02 sensor came undone. and another the wire got to close to the headers and melted some. but everytime its been something with just the wire. ive never got an egr code just the normal 02 bank/ air fuel monitor which both go with the 02 sensors.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Checked it again and they said Bank 1, Sensor 1 s throwing codes.

If that is the passenger's side on mine (meaning they're swapped), then I don't know what the hell. The Bosch 13111 reached all the way to the stock harness, so I took out the extension. I'd think it would be fine.

Think the 13111 will reach all the way to the stock harness on the driver's side from the collecter of my QTP LT's?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes bank 1 is passenger side i belive. i had the exact same thing. though if you switched 02 to oopsite sides and it through the same code again. then my theory might be right. i did that also and the code still showed the passenger side being bad after i had switched it with the driver and erased the code. i almost think the bank 1 sensor 1 ect is generic for both 02s. i think if either side goes bad that code will come up. thats just my hypothesis. from what you have explained and my experience with the same issue. also note. buick centuries/ GP's/monte carlos of that year all use the same 02 sensors. so you can find those easily in a junk yard. instead of paying the over priced versions from a company.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
yes bank 1 is passenger side i belive.
That's not what I've been told on here by more than one person.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
yes bank 1 is passenger side i belive. i had the exact same thing. though if you switched 02 to oopsite sides and it through the same code again. then my theory might be right. i did that also and the code still showed the passenger side being bad after i had switched it with the driver and erased the code. i almost think the bank 1 sensor 1 ect is generic for both 02s. i think if either side goes bad that code will come up. thats just my hypothesis. from what you have explained and my experience with the same issue. also note. buick centuries/ GP's/monte carlos of that year all use the same 02 sensors. so you can find those easily in a junk yard. instead of paying the over priced versions from a company.
The code will be specific to the bank that the o2 has gone bad on. So if it says bank 1, it really means bank 1 is doing something fishy. The Bosch 13111 sensors are quite pricey but they also have a year long warranty on them which comes in handy.

Sharpe, o2 sensors often get ruined by coated headers, regardless of brand. Some of them kill the o2's in a week, my car took about 500 miles before the front o2's went bad. Something about the coating just doesn't mesh well with the sensor itself. The 13111 should reach from the bung to the connector with some room to spare.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

damn i installed Lt's ory and got every code possible lol

car still runs good but my mpg is way down, getting it tuned here in a week
Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I have stainless steel headers, not coated. Never heard that though.

I hope my O2's last longer than 500 miles!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

rofl. i have stock 02 sensors and 30k miles on them after headers.. like i said. you wast money on those bosch and whatever else. might aswell waste your money on a tornado air intake thing.

well sharpe. i dont care about what people have said or swear to lol. i go off of the little paper in my desk showing me my codes and i know how i fixed the prob. my car runs fine. so take my advice how you want. not to mention i have the GM Esi techline software. so if anyone wants to really argue i can start copying pasting what GM says lol.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:57 AM
11 Second Club

Way to get defensive there bud. Truth be told the info you posted above was incorrect. Bank 1 has always been the driver side of the engine. I've been down the same road as you guys after I put headers on my 99 TA. A thing to remember about O2 codes, they will come and go. You won't have one stay on continuious until it's just flat out junk.

I had to replace both sensors after about 1K miles after I did the headers. since then no issues at all.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Alright! Got it fixed!!! Got it up on a friend's lift last night and it was a quick job. Had a bad extension, but the Bosch 13111's ran all the way to the stock harness just fine (that's reason enough to buy them right there!). Just scanned it again today just to make sure that it wouldn't throw the codes. Even watched them with a data logger, which was cool.

Once I got the driver's front O2 working, the back ones started throwing codes like they were supposed to all along! So, the car no longer has the miss/backfire/buck whatever it was under high load at high RPM (it actually stopped that after I changed the passengers). Also, I notcied that the smell of gas fumes went away, so, I might get better gas milage too. Then again, it might have meant my car was running lean, which means the chance of me blowing it up is now less.

Thatnks for all your help!

EDIT: Oh, and yes, though I cant find the harness, the data logger showed that I have 4 O2 sensors.

And, I unplugged the drivers to see if it really was B1S1 and it was.