General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Starter kept cranking motor over after it was turned off

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter kept cranking motor over after it was turned off

well looks like its time for a new starter. I started the car between some classes at school today to go graba a bite to eat, when I relized while the car was on that the starter was still cranking. well i turned the car off, and the started kept going... and i had no way to diconnect the battery! I pulled the started fuse and the starter still kept cranking. at this point the started begain to smoke, and i ran over to a random fool with a civic who gave me some tools so i could diconnect the battery. after i did that it finally stoped. My only concern is that the car wasn't getting any oil pressure, but thats mechanicly driven so if the car is being cranked over by the started, the oil pump is still working...right? anyway im going to get a new starter and see if that solves the problem.

-Chris
Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a short if you pulled the fuse and it still kept cranking. You probably do need a new starter now though.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

Change your starter solenoid, it locked up in the on position.
It happens on Fords alot. At least it does on my F250. I had one go bad again just two months after I put a new one on.
Not sure where its located on the F bodies, it could be on the starter itself.
My ford has it mounted on the ps fender.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If fairly sure the soleniod is located on top of the starter. I replaced it 3 stories up in a parking garage in about 20 min... really easy install. anyway what i didnt relize is that when the starter was cranking over for that long, it was drawing a **** load of current from the battery and one of my terminals fried. I didnt see this until after my car died and the steering wheel locked up on the freeway (<---Scary) so now i need a new battery and a new bolt that connects to the terminal cuz that got fried too.

-Chris
Old 06-07-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If fairly sure the soleniod is located on top of the starter. I replaced it 3 stories up in a parking garage in about 20 min... really easy install. anyway what i didnt relize is that when the starter was cranking over for that long, it was drawing a **** load of current from the battery and one of my terminals fried. I didnt see this until after my car died and the steering wheel locked up on the freeway (<---Scary) so now i need a new battery and a new bolt that connects to the terminal cuz that got fried too.

-Chris
Yep it does get hot. I keep a wrench in the truck all the time now in case it happens again. I'm on my fourth one in the truck, they never seem to stick in the closed position.