General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replace a seat because of the mechanism or can it be repaired

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Replace a seat because of the mechanism or can it be repaired

I'm talking about the handle on the side of seat that adjusts the incline/decline of the seat.In my 00 Formula my drivers side seat doesn't sit all the way up. It has to click 2 times,thus leaving the seat in a reclining position. Me and a friend looked at the mechanism today and it looks like it is held in by 4 bolts, My question is this replacable or do i have to buy another seat? Thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Is the seat "floppy/bendy" at all?

My seat was cracked through the bolt holes on the side. Disassemble the seat and inspect. Pull the bottom cushion off the frame and see if the frame is cracked. My father and I hammered and bent it back into shape and his friend welded it back up. Its fine now. BTW, if you're like me and had to drive the car while the seat bottom frame was out being welded, the bottom of the driver and passenger seat are identical. The only change is to move a threaded clip from one side of the bottom seat frame to the other. In fact, my driver's bottom is still the passenger one. When the frame came back from being welded, I installed it on the passenger seat.

Since you're there, you'll notice that the central support for the cushion is a bunch of thin wires that cut into the cushion causing the seat bottom to compress over time. I didn't do it then, but I'm contemplating it. It may be a good idea to put something flat and sturdy across those wires to isolate them from the foam to keep them from cutting into it.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-09-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I've only removed a seat twice (driver once and passenger once) and this is from memory...
Its really easy.

How to remove the seat from the car:
Step 1: Unscrew seat belt guide.
Step 2: Slide the seat all the way back and remove the two front floor nuts
Step 3: Slide the seat all the way forward and remove the two rear floor nuts
Step 4: Disconnect the power and air hoses from the seat
Step 5: Remove seat (Remember the orientation of the plastic pieces that cover the track)

How to disassemble seat:
Step 1: Remove screws holding on plastic side trim piece with buttons
Step 2: Remove the 4 bolts holding the track to the seat (may require sliding the track back/forth, Remember the orientation of the plastic pieces that cover the track)
Step 3: Remove Large side bolts holding the back and bottom together

How to remove cloth lower cushion from frame:
(Leather is probably similar)
Step 1: At the front and rear there are two long white clips holding the fabric onto the frame. Pull off these two clips one at a time (may require some prying, be gentle though to as not to damage them). I don't remember if there are any side clips as well, but they'll come off the same way.
Step 2: Work off the fabric cover
Step 3: If the foam didn't pull off with the cover, then pull it off the frame (be careful not to rip it.)

If I missed anything, you'll figure it out. Its really easy.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-09-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Also sometimes the bolts are just loose. Did you check?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the seats out of the car now and they are for sale. I swapped a cloth interior into my car in less than 1hr and 1/2. Very easy Thanks for the advice. I'm going to mess around with the bolts now.