General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dealership used regular oil, not synthetic..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership used regular oil, not synthetic..

Did my Charger SRT8's second oil change since I've owned it today. The first, I had done at the dealership, which ran $119.00 and tax, so thus, I'm now doing all the changes myself. What I found today really pissed me off, I noticed when I drained the oil, it was regular ol' oil (don't really have a better name for it), you know, like $1.47 a quart type, the real stuff, not the Mobile 1 full synthetic I'd been charged for.(Yes, you can tell, it's got a different texture,smell and look, even after a few thousand miles). SO basically, I got screwed over, paying $120+ for 7 quarts of regular oil, a filter and 10 mins labor. WTF? Anyone else out there that now does their own changes found this as well? Just wondering.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW 120$ for an oil change!? i worked at alot of places for oilchanges, and that insane!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

dude $120 even for full synthetic is way over the top...
Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
WOW 120$ for an oil change!? i worked at alot of places for oilchanges, and that insane!!!
Thats what I said when I got the bill. To top that, the local chevy dealership charges $149.99 for the C6(not that I get it done there) and $179.99 for the Z06, and they aren't even a GM certified Corvette shop.I'm so glad I have the time and space to do my own.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, i would **** myself if i was ever told 180$ for an oil change, sorry man but you got hosed.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, I thought the $65 (Mobil 1) was high, I'd :faint: if I got a bill for $120
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Launching!

i'd tell them to go to hell if they tried to charge me that, and ask for my old oil back.

screw that ****.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

As I said, the first SRT8 change was for $119+tax, I now change the oil in it myself. As for the vette, I've done all it's oil changes, save one done with the cam swap. The Dodge dealership listed oil prices as this: 4cyl:$29.99 ,6cyl:32.99 and up ,8cyl $49.99 and up, so I was kinda taken aback by the $119 charge, but can't turn back time,so paid and learned a lesson. The whole point of this thread ,though, was to ask how many have found out they were charged for one type/brand of oil and ended up getting a knock off of cheap brand, or non synthetic.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Launching!

oh. my bad.

had it happen when my dad/i had a used car business. they were charging us for better oil and givin us the cheapo crap they had in the drums to make themselves a lil more money.

i do all my own oil changes. did all of our business' too after that incident.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

So you can take your car to a stealership and they will change your oil? No thanks on that.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Evilways
As I said, the first SRT8 change was for $119+tax, I now change the oil in it myself. As for the vette, I've done all it's oil changes, save one done with the cam swap. The Dodge dealership listed oil prices as this: 4cyl:$29.99 ,6cyl:32.99 and up ,8cyl $49.99 and up, so I was kinda taken aback by the $119 charge, but can't turn back time,so paid and learned a lesson. The whole point of this thread ,though, was to ask how many have found out they were charged for one type/brand of oil and ended up getting a knock off of cheap brand, or non synthetic.
Yeah, a former boss of mine used to have the dealership change his oil, but he would bring the oil in with him and expect to get the empties back. Still doesn't insure that they did it right. But it drives the point home to them that you are paying attention.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Aside from standing infront oif the tech while hes doin the oil change, theres no way to tell whats happenin to your vehicle. LOL, I took my TA in for an oil change once, let the tech drive it into the bay(which was right by the bay door) and stood there and watched his every move, I know it must have drove him nuts, but I really dont give a ****, a good tech wouldnt care either way. Also a secret(which once again you can request, but god knows if they will do it) is ask for BOTTLED OIL.....not normal oil from the hose(that **** is refined/lesser quality bulk oil). Bottled is new/good quality. Its these things and more that I have completely stopped takin my vehicles to dealerships since I have yet to find ANY that I would trust.

To the OP, did you get a FULL breakdown on oil, filter and labour? there is no way any oil change is worth more than 50-60 bucks? unless the oil is $10/bottle and they charge you an hour labour......the service advisor would have a hell of a lot of explaining to do.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NDFORSPD
Aside from standing infront oif the tech while hes doin the oil change, theres no way to tell whats happenin to your vehicle. LOL, I took my TA in for an oil change once, let the tech drive it into the bay(which was right by the bay door) and stood there and watched his every move, I know it must have drove him nuts, but I really dont give a ****, a good tech wouldnt care either way. Also a secret(which once again you can request, but god knows if they will do it) is ask for BOTTLED OIL.....not normal oil from the hose(that **** is refined/lesser quality bulk oil). Bottled is new/good quality. Its these things and more that I have completely stopped takin my vehicles to dealerships since I have yet to find ANY that I would trust.

To the OP, did you get a FULL breakdown on oil, filter and labour? there is no way any oil change is worth more than 50-60 bucks? unless the oil is $10/bottle and they charge you an hour labour......the service advisor would have a hell of a lot of explaining to do.

Talked to the dealership today after my GT test drive, they do not do full breakdowns on oil changes, but adjust oil priced due to the market(their words) and the person there today(manager is on vacation until next week, lucky him,huh?) said that they have charged as much as $12.95(WTF?) per quart for the Mobile 1 0w40 that the Charger takes. I asked her "how much do you normally charge for regular oil, then...cause thats what came out of my car when I did the change yesterday"...she stumbled her words a bit and said she'd talk to one of the techs, she stepped back into the garage area and talked for a sec to a guy that kept eyeballin' me through the windows(btw,the lifts for the cars are just out of line of sight around the corner). She came back to say that there was little to no possibility they changed the oil with anything other than recommended. I sat my film canister(with the offending oil in it)on the desk and opened it, put my finger in and smeared a little on the appt. calendar on the desk, black as ink..I asked her if she cared to go get some synthetic and do the same thing beside it and compare. She got really defensive and said I need to talk with the manager next week. I asked her "You think he's gonna say anything you haven't"...it's getting a little heated now and she's getting more pissy, so I left, I don't need some butch chick getting all huffy on me. Long story short, got her name and the manager name and am going to take the issue over their heads.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

This is EXACTLY why I NEVER take my cars to stealerships or quick lubes, and ALWAYS do my own fluid changes.
BTW; for what they charged you could have put Motul 300V (one of the costliest of ALL oils, except for custom blended, synthetic race oils like they use in the Ferrari F1 engines) and an Amsoil EaO top line filter in that thing and still have had money left over!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Love the move to smear oil on her desk... I would have dumped it in her lap and said f off. Best case you get a free oil change. Bad news is that will f your car knowing you bitched ... Its a lose / lose.... Just write that off as a loss and move on....
Old 12-12-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Evilways
Talked to the dealership today after my GT test drive, they do not do full breakdowns on oil changes, but adjust oil priced due to the market(their words) and the person there today(manager is on vacation until next week, lucky him,huh?) said that they have charged as much as $12.95(WTF?) per quart for the Mobile 1 0w40 that the Charger takes. I asked her "how much do you normally charge for regular oil, then...cause thats what came out of my car when I did the change yesterday"...she stumbled her words a bit and said she'd talk to one of the techs, she stepped back into the garage area and talked for a sec to a guy that kept eyeballin' me through the windows(btw,the lifts for the cars are just out of line of sight around the corner). She came back to say that there was little to no possibility they changed the oil with anything other than recommended. I sat my film canister(with the offending oil in it)on the desk and opened it, put my finger in and smeared a little on the appt. calendar on the desk, black as ink..I asked her if she cared to go get some synthetic and do the same thing beside it and compare. She got really defensive and said I need to talk with the manager next week. I asked her "You think he's gonna say anything you haven't"...it's getting a little heated now and she's getting more pissy, so I left, I don't need some butch chick getting all huffy on me. Long story short, got her name and the manager name and am going to take the issue over their heads.
lol awesome...keep us updated,i HATE dealerships service with a passion
Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

i dont know how your warrenty works but we have my Gf's oil changed at the auto oil changers 52$ a change becasue if something comes up with warrenty we have proof that it has been serviced. A guy was denied a new motor becasue he couldnt prove he was doing regular changes. but for sure 120 at dealer is just stupid someone would have got b-slaped it was just 200 for trans, transfer case and both difs to get serviced 04 envoy 4x4
Old 12-12-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow yea thats alot it only takes 10 mins 15 tops if the oil filter is in a hard spot to get to. and there is no way the oil is that much and the filter and the labor they dont need to charge you that much looks like there ripping people off
Old 12-12-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always buy my own oil and filter and have someone local change it for $10-15.

At least I know what is going in my engine and I'm too lazy to change it myself.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

myabe a GM tech will get on here and tell us somethin... hint hint... but at this point Im not sure there is anyway to prove that you got screwed. I want to know how this turns out though because i know my mom has overpaid for oilchanges with her caddy..