General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering....help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering....help

alright so my power steering has been out for about a week or so...I thought that the pump was bad so i went to advance auto and bought a new one...cost me about 60 bucks or so. I havent installed it yet because im not fully convinced that my PS pump is dead yet. Because I got in my car yesterday and drove it out of the driveway and was amazed that i had powersteering. I contunued to drive for about 30 minutes and all of which i had power steering. I have checked all fluids in the reservior, and the are full. I can not understand y i have power when my car first starts, and then later loose steering. Is it a leak? (which i have pretty much ruled out) or is it a issue of the steering pump fluid temperature? HELP PLEASE

Last edited by XxWs6MaNxX; 12-28-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Is there a check engine light that comes on when you start up the car or does it come on when your power steering goes out? If it is one of those, then a simple diagnostics machine may be able to solve it. But yeah I wouldn't install the pump just yet, but if you do decide to put it on and it doesn't help it, at least you won't have to change one in the near future
Old 12-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

no check engine light. The pump works when the car first cranks and then goes dead after a few minutes.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

maybe once your pump gets heated up after a while it starts locking up.