General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help with my blinker

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with my blinker

ok, so i have searched it up on hear but still need a little help. My right blinker is out but my left one still works fine so it isnt the flasher(fuse) but when i turn my headlights on the right orange light comes on, but during the day my right one dosnt come on, now i have changed the light twice thinking it might be that and i have sprayed wd-40 in the light socket to get some corosion out and it worked pretty good but day runner light/right blinker still wont come on, and when i lock the doors on my car both orange lights flash real fast. so before i go out and buy a new socket i was wondering if it could be a wire loose or somthing .

Thank you adam
Old 01-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Launching!

up top
Old 01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't hurt to replace sockets w/pigtails, ~$8 each at Advance Auto. Get some dielectric grease (larger tubes avail at Northern Tool) and fill them suckers up. I also drilled the driving light housing in a couple of places to allow H2O to drain. Cheap and simple repair and has worked for me.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

I had my right blinker quit working also after I got my car. I first tried a new bulb, only to have it quit working again. I've found that this seems to be a problem on alot of these cars. After I replaced the socket asm. it's worked fine with no further problems. X2 on the dielectric grease. My socket had burn marks in it where the bulb plugs in.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

id also check your grounds, there shold be two behind your lights under the hood make sure they are clean. I had similar issues, replaced bulbs and lights, talked with a mechanic friend, and he said it was a common issue
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
Wouldn't hurt to replace sockets w/pigtails, ~$8 each at Advance Auto. Get some dielectric grease (larger tubes avail at Northern Tool) and fill them suckers up. I also drilled the driving light housing in a couple of places to allow H2O to drain. Cheap and simple repair and has worked for me.
what exactely is a pigtail? some extra wire so you can splice into the current wires???
Old 01-06-2008, 01:33 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Why does everyone automatically replace the socket?

Don't waste your time and effort putting in a new socket without even bothering to test the old one first. Put a voltmeter or a test light to ground and test the blue wire in the socket for power. If you get a reading or a test light from the wire but not the socket, then you can be sure that the socket is the problem and it needs replacing.

I listened to everyone else's advice that basically said that the socket was the ultimate cause of this electrical problem, only to find out that it still didn't work. After figuring out how to use a test light and voltmeter, I discovered that the DRL module had gone bad on that particular circuit...

Last edited by myk; 01-06-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
Why does everyone automatically replace the socket?

Don't waste your time and effort putting in a new socket without even bothering to test the old one first. Put a voltmeter or a test light to ground and test the blue wire in the socket for power. If you get a reading or a test light from the wire but not the socket, then you can be sure that the socket is the problem and it needs replacing.

I listened to everyone else's advice that basically said that the socket was the ultimate cause of this electrical problem, only to find out that it still didn't work. After figuring out how to use a test light and voltmeter, I discovered that the DRL module had gone bad on that particular circuit...
wow that 1st part , i dont under stand. Also i volt meter were can i get one of those from?