General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering rack goes out, everything follows

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering rack goes out, everything follows

So last week I started getting a loud grinding noise from my power steering, and it got worse. I ended up getting the car towed to a shop, and after getting the car on the flatbed the car wouldnt start up. Tried jumping it from the terminals, got nothing. Finally jumped it from the fuse side and got power, but it struck me as a little weird, Ive never had electrical problems with this car. Anyways we get the car on a lift and see that the rack and pinion was the problem, and $600 later it was replaced. But that wasnt the end of it, the oil pan had a big leak. I had a small leak in the past, but after replacing the rear main when we did my tranny rebuild the leak was gone. So now I need a new oil pan gasket which apparently is a major pita and $. Since then ive had some more problems. If you guys can answer any of these id appreciate it.

*Loud ticking noise from motor, always been there but it seems to have gotten worse.

*The car seems to be pulling timing and not nearly as powerful as it was before. The car has always idled at 500rpm, only mods are lid and catback as far as I know, but isnt it supposed to be at 1000?

*Window motors work when they want to.

*Another wierd problem - I have a kenwood dnx5120, it works fine but as soon as I go into the nav mode the screen gets extremely dim.

*Very poor gas mileage, getting about 11 or 12 to the gallon with 50/50 driving.

Sorry for the long post im just really frustrated with my car right now... let me know what u guys thing
Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt..
Old 07-26-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For poor gas milege. I would change the gas filter, new plugs, oil/filter change and what gas you using? I use premium and have got better gas milge then the other grades even though there people who say it doesn't matter the grade.

Car i think stock should idle at 1000.

Window motor is probably going, i need to change mine. Most just buy liftime replacement from autozon. Someone did say take the original window motor out and replace a part in there and should work, im going to try this, i had the link to this mod but i accidently lost it.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The window motor mod you are talking about is basically adding a relay to the window motor circuit so that the window switch just activates the relay and the relay gets its power from the battery so that the motor sees the true 12V it is suppose to see.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive already changed the fuel filter, oil/filter, and always use 91. The problem with the windows is that they both have problems, theyll go up and then wont go anymore, and if I wait a few minutes it will go up again. Does this mean both the motors are going at the same time?

And the question about the idle is bugging me. It always idles at 500 in park or driving and its always as smooth as butter. Does this mean the car has a small cam and I just didnt know it?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's possible the alternator was taken out by the PS pump, thus contributing to the weird electrical problems. If it dumped fluid it goes right through the alternator.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like your resistors could be shot in the window motors...they weaken and overheat easier...when they cool off, they work again.....

Idle and gas issue could be a vaccum leak.....research all the lines and chase them...I had similar problems with gas mileage and idle due to vacuum leak....it was a small hose going into the throttle body from the pvc system
Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

you solve your problems?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My take on this:

- Ticking noises are usually exhaust leaks from the gaskets on you manifolds/headers. Also can be a wire arching but usually that is with a loss of performance.

- A 1000 RMP idle is not normal unless you have it tuned that way. Your an auto so if your in gear thats about where you want to be where you idle now. I have a stick and with the clutch in I'm only at 850 or so. As far as the loss of power try cleaning your MAF and IAC sensor with MAF cleaner. The car pulling timing can be caused by a knock as well.

-Your window motors are dead/dying, replace them. It's a common problem and there are tons of articles on how to swap them out so it's beaten to death on here.

-Poor milage could be a number of things try cleaning your sensors as said earlier, may also want to replace plugs and wires if the car is getting up in miles along with some new O2 sensors. If I had to pick one I'd bet it's your O2's starting to fail.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I had the steering rack replaced but I have an oil leak too now, dont remember if I mentioned that. Im gonna do plugs/wires soon and check up on all my vacuum hoses, good idea. If that doesnt do it, then o2s are going out for new ones.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If your ticking doesn't go away it could be a lifter that is colapsed or is starting too. How many miles on your car?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast