General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Getting that time of yr :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting that time of yr :(

So winter is getting close. Another few weeks. Just wondering what everyone does to store their cars? I live in Michigan and this will be the first time i store my car. Its going to be kept in my barn. What needs to be done to prep it for storage?

Fuel Stablizer
Tarp/Cover
Tire Pressure

Anything else i should do? Just changed my oil a few weeks ago.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Man, I feel lucky to live in a place where it is summer all year round.

How long do you let the car sit for?

Do you ever start it? Or does it just sit?

Sorry, for the stupid questions. . . . .
Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I put on Blizzak WS-50 tires (mounted on cheap steel wheels) and drive it in the snow. It handles better than a FWD car with all-season tires.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

winter is the only time i love living in south georgia
Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Launching!

nope she won't be started for about 4 months give or take depending on GLOBAL WARMING

I would drive it during the winter but my car has seen snow only once. Besides the salt on the rounds is nuts up here!!

maybe take the battery out?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Launching!

1. Full tank of gas (less air = less corrosion) + stabilizer
2. Trickle-charger for the battery, and disconnect it
3. If it's outside (below freezing), check the amount of antifreeze in your coolant (no idea if this even applies to dexcool)
4. De-humidifiers inside the car (non-electric)
5. Car cover closest to the car, then tarp (a light one)

If possible, start up the car once a month and let it get to operating temperature before turning it off.

That's just off the top of my head.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
1. Full tank of gas (less air = less corrosion) + stabilizer
2. Trickle-charger for the battery, and disconnect it
3. If it's outside (below freezing), check the amount of antifreeze in your coolant (no idea if this even applies to dexcool)
4. De-humidifiers inside the car (non-electric)
5. Car cover closest to the car, then tarp (a light one)

If possible, start up the car once a month and let it get to operating temperature before turning it off.

That's just off the top of my head.

Sounds good to me too.

That's what I would suggest. I just don't know about a De-humidifier.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Launching!

The de-humidifiers collect the condensation that will occur when the cars temperature shifts between above and below freezing. It helps to keep the car smelling fresh when you bring it out of storage, instead of having a somewhat damp smell to it.

It's not critical, but for a few bucks, I think it's worth it.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in NY so we get the snow and salt also. I will drive my car up until the first salt goes on the road and then it goes away until the spring rains clean the salt off of the roads. If you are going to store it in a barn just fill it up with fuel don't have to worry about rust in the tank it's plastic. Watch out for critters like mice making a nice nest in your car. Put some glue traps down or bait to get them before they get you. Some silica packs to keep the moisture out is a good idea. You should go and start the car every once in awhile to move the oil around and keep your main seal and other gaskets from dry rotting. This will also keep you from having to trickle charge the battery. You will hear alot of diffrent ideas about storing your car. I keep mine in my garage and have only done the things I've told you and it comes out every spring ready to go.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

this might be a stupid question but i never stored a car. but my old dirt bikes we used to dump oil in the cylinders and when it was time to bring em back out just take out the plug and turn over the motor and pump out the oil. prolly no to practicle for a car tho....
Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 79Jeep
this might be a stupid question but i never stored a car. but my old dirt bikes we used to dump oil in the cylinders and when it was time to bring em back out just take out the plug and turn over the motor and pump out the oil. prolly no to practicle for a car tho....
Did that on all my outboard motors too but think it must be a "two stroke" thing since I have never seen it advised on a car. Don't see how it could hurt though but I would just crank it once a month and it would not be necessary.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Cool

Northern Indiana

1. Full fuel tank, stabilitzer

2. Start it every 3 to 4 weeks if it's not too cold. Let it warm up to op temperature. If there's no snow, back it into the driveway. Drive it up and down the driveway a few times, ignore the weird looks from the neighbors (Actually, they are used to me by now).

3. Wish spring would hurry and get here.

This works for me.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 AM
Launching!

Don`t forget about the flat spots you will get on your tires. Happened to me last winter and it sucked. I reccomend putting the car on jack stands or wooden blocks if you don`t trust the jack stands. Thats what i will be doing this winter because i just bought new tires and i`m not gonna ruin them. Otherwise everything else that has already been said is great advice to.Mine goes into garage with a full tank in + stabalizer, disconnect battery and take in the house with me because it gets pretty cold here in the winter and i don`t want my battery to freeze up and i don`t trust trickle chargers, start it about once a month and let it get to op temp, and also car cover one thats breathable and no tarp because that can actually draw in and hold moisture. Thats what i do and i live in Wisconsin. Like i said though if you`ve got good tires and wanna keep them make sure its off the ground because you will get flat spots. Hope that helps yea.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some more info here - https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/416584-things-do-before-storing-your-vehicle.html