Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick header bolt question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Quick header bolt question.

So the first header bolt on my passenger side header(by #2 primary) is missing. I never put it in because the gasket doesnt line up with the head/header, so its somewhat blocking the bolt from going in. I tried to get it for at least an hour during the header install, and a few more times after that but nothing short of taking off the header and modifiying the gasket will work. I really dont feel like doing all that.

Its been this way for at least a month now and it doesnt leak. So will it be ok with out the one bolt?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get that bolt in there ASAP...I'm betting your header will fly off without it! :o

J/K dude, its not hard to remove the gasket....just remove all bolts and slip the gasket out...you can then modify as necessary so you can use all 6 bolts.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, thats what i thought, its just gonna be a PITA because its the passenger side header where theres pretty much no room.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Theres 2 possibilities here. Ive seen guys have problems getting one of the middle bolts all the way in (always the last one they choose to tighten) because they didnt go from the inside bolts outward when tightening (learned the hard way). Or the gasket is flipped upside down. At worst loosen your bolts a smidge and the gasket should slide around a fraction - you should always start all your bolts through the flange/gasket while everything is still relatively loose and **** can maneuver around somewhat then once again tighten from the inside bolts out and youll have no problem. BTW beautiful car rediculously awesome color and i hope you know how rare that option/color combo is. Your the first formula ive ever seen, and one of only 3 LS1 pontiacs ive seen in that color anywhere on the street or internet including myself (2TA's and you). Anyway hope that helps and BTW how many miles ya got now since were all 99's(im at 140K) and what is a TSP rumbler? Ever decide to sell that thing you give me 1st dibs. Having 2 that color would be unheardof. You know where yours was orig. delivered? Mine was in Bryan Tx. and has spent is entire life here in TX. The other TA is from Houston.

HOLY CRAP what a small world, its joshp14 the dude that hooked me up w/the info on where mine was delivered - whats up man? Thanks again. If you remember im the dude with the SS that was delivered to Alaska.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Launching!

And BTW although i would never recommend leaving such a simple fix undone i doubt that if all your other bolts are properly torqued that it be noticeable for quite a while if ever, STILL THOUGH!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

If it's not leaking then it will be ok.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
Theres 2 possibilities here. Ive seen guys have problems getting one of the middle bolts all the way in (always the last one they choose to tighten) because they didnt go from the inside bolts outward when tightening (learned the hard way). Or the gasket is flipped upside down. At worst loosen your bolts a smidge and the gasket should slide around a fraction - you should always start all your bolts through the flange/gasket while everything is still relatively loose and **** can maneuver around somewhat then once again tighten from the inside bolts out and youll have no problem. BTW beautiful car rediculously awesome color and i hope you know how rare that option/color combo is. Your the first formula ive ever seen, and one of only 3 LS1 pontiacs ive seen in that color anywhere on the street or internet including myself (2TA's and you). Anyway hope that helps and BTW how many miles ya got now since were all 99's(im at 140K) and what is a TSP rumbler? Ever decide to sell that thing you give me 1st dibs. Having 2 that color would be unheardof. You know where yours was orig. delivered? Mine was in Bryan Tx. and has spent is entire life here in TX. The other TA is from Houston.

HOLY CRAP what a small world, its joshp14 the dude that hooked me up w/the info on where mine was delivered - whats up man? Thanks again. If you remember im the dude with the SS that was delivered to Alaska.
Im 100% sure the gasket isnt upside down or anything and i did tighten them from the inside out. So i guess ill just take the time one day and loosen all the bolts and fix it.

Thanks for the compliments too. Ive heard there are only about 60 or so MBM formulas. Its got 112k but had 97k when i bought it. IDK if ill ever sell it but if i do ill let you know. TSP rumbler is basically a loudmouth with a Dynomax Bullet. Its way too raspy with the headers.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSickLS1

Yup I remember you.