Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom wiring for electric cutout

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom wiring for electric cutout

Hey guys, I have been browsing around lately and looking up info for an electric cutout that I plan to install shortly. So naturally after seeing a writeup about connecting the cutout switch to the power seat switches (which I conveniently do not have in my 98 formula), I started considering other possibilities. I have now decided that I wish to wire it up to the volume control on the steering wheel for some stealth, having a switch already there, and the irony factor associated with it.

So here is my question... does anyone have a "simple" way of setting this up? I'm not entirely sure where the wires all lead to, or even a good way of finding out without an electrical diagram (which of course.. I don't have). Any ideas for my hopefully... unique... plan?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty sure you can't wire anything up to the steering wheel controls.

I just got done installing my electric cutout, and I did what JasonWW did, and wired it up to a convertible top switch. Best stealth, but stock looking, way to do IMO.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

Unfortunately I don't have a convertible top switch, which is why I started considering the steering wheel controls, since they are the only existing toggle switches that are already available.

I honestly havn't even looking at what the controls actually were until you posted that comment blindxeyed, so that got me looking at this page to get a general idea of how the controls worked: http://www.stevendbrown.com/Steering...oControls.html

So far, with my limited knowledge of the subject, I have a feeling that the only practical way to get it to work is to hack up that little chip, slide the actual switch (or some other toggle switch) behind the existing buttons, and start gluing it all together. Which doesn't seem to be much of a problem at all since it will all be hidden by those giant buttons. The only issue I see is that I still am not entirely sure HOW all the wires get up there to begin with.