Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv setup, i think i have it setup wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pcv setup, i think i have it setup wrong

ok guys, i have been battling issues with my swap car, but i ran across something (the pcv setup) I have a revxtreme catch can coming in the mail, but is the pcv valve coming directly out of the drivers side valve cover in that grommet.

thats how i have it setup, if not how do i need to correct this.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the LS1 PCV system the rear tube on the P/S vavle cover and the opening on the rear of the D/S valve cover (the one you are refering to) actually Y together via a rubber connector at the rear of the engine. A single tube then runs up the P/S between the valve cover and the intake to a nipple on the front of the intake.

I am not familure with that catch can but isn't there a valve built in to it? If so the single line that runs to the intake would run through the can and then to the intake.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

thats what i was thinking, i have a pcv valve stuck in the driver side valave cover. if so i would assume i need to remove it, and find an elbow to fit that grommet.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, you would want the valve after the merge of both lines.

You could do this:
You can basically make your own PCV system out of 3/8" rubber fuel line a "Y" fitting and a 90* elbow that would be inserted in the D/S valve cover (an elbow as you described). You would need to be able to connect the PCV valve some how if you don't have the rubber case for it. The nipple end of the valve would point towards the intake (vacuum source).

Or this:
You could spend around $80 and change out the valley plate for the 2004+ LS1/6 valley plated. The nipple on the plate is very close to the intake location and requires a short "U" shaped hose for a connection. This new plate contains the PCV system and orafice (replaces the valve) all together. Other than just replacing the old plate you may have to, unless you have an LS6 block, notch out a location in the valley that is not very hard to do (I did mine).

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-20-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

well when it Y's and is supposed to go in the pass side valve cover, i DONT have that insert, so i have that y piece capped off.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chetmo
well when it Y's and is supposed to go in the pass side valve cover, i DONT have that insert, so i have that y piece capped off.
The piece for the P/S could be substituted with maybe a foot of hose and a coupler to join it to the "Y".
Old 10-20-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

i mean i have the pcv hose capped off, as i have the y setup, (from the 98, my 99+ valve covers dont have that insert) so i put a vacuum cap on that piece and put a worm gear on it and called it a day.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

my valve cover looks like this with only one port on it towards the front;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-8-5...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am basing what I know off my car. This is the P/S valve cover and I see the inlet tube that connects to the TB near the oil fill. There should also be a tube towards the rear (and facing rearward) of the cover also for the PCV. It would be on the side like the inlet tube. I can't see it in the picture.

With that said and if this is what you have I would look at doing something about the situation. Short term I would think it will be fine but over the long run you don't have an adequate way of venting your engine of it's impurities (for lack of a better word) and damage seals. I guess you could change the valve cover to one with the additional tube or go with a LS6 valley cover and scrap the old PCV system.

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-21-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

its not in the picture, im wondering now if that possibly is how the trucks are setup, and i got truck valve covers? thats how my valve cover looks, no rear inlet port.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

still not 100 % sure on this, but i think the pcv needs to be pulled from the back of the head, purchase a PCV elbow, then run i up front to the catch can.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chetmo
still not 100 % sure on this, but i think the pcv needs to be pulled from the back of the head, purchase a PCV elbow, then run i up front to the catch can.
That is the location (back of both valve covers) on the stock LS1 PCV system's. The valley cover's (that I spoke of earlier) has the outlet for the PCV system near the front of the intake. Having the PCV drawing from the valley opposed to the valve covers works better and is why GM updated its system.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

correct, i have the old system, noway i can change it (now atleast). my question, is can i pull the pcv vlave from the drivers side valve cover(replace with elbow), since i will have the pcv valve in the catch can now?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Short term I would think it will be fine but over the long run you don't have an adequate way of venting your engine of it's impurities (for lack of a better word) and damage seals.
You could as I stated earlier in post #9 but I would not run it long as this is only allowing the engine to vent via a PCV system using one valve cover.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

run breathers on both valve covers to relieve pressure . you could run with the back piece and then just plug the y that goes to the intake . i ran with a y for a while and still have no issues . only thing is to clean your engine a little more often but is not bad .
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

well i bought the proper valve covers, so i can unplug the pcv hose that goes on the drivers side valve cover. This catch can setup says i can run with both pcv pieces.