Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtube recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtube recommendation

I am looking into getting either American Racing or Pacesetter heaaders. I was told by the shop here in California that for a budget header Pacesetter is the way to go and when spending real money American Racing is the way to go. How much difference is between the two, is it worth it to spend double the money? Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

American Racing Header's are pricey but well worth it according to many ppl on here. There "stainless steel" and fitment is great. They probably add a good bit more HP then Pacesetter's do as well. Go with these header's, and you wont need to replace them.

Pacesetter's are good bang for the buck header's. If your on a low budget, then these are the way to go. Not avialable in stainless steel so over time, these will rust and you will probably need to replace them.

There's other options out there, like Hooker Header's that you can also get in "stainless steel" and there about....200 or so more then Pacesetter's.

Basically, do you want quick bang for the buck header's??? or willing to dish out the money for a set of header's, you will probably never have to replace again???
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

pacesetters suck imho, ARH are awesome, my buddy has them, and they are awesome
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

I have pacesetters. If i did it again and your on a budget like me i would do edlebrocks 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8" headers. The step helps scavaging. On the other hand if you got the money i would go ARH. I would say Edlebrock is a good bang for the buck header.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Teching In

What kind of difference I am going to see between expensive and budget headers? Is it worth double the price to get the American Racing headers instead of Pacesetters?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Between the 2 I would go with ARH
Old 11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Like most everybody says "you get what you pay for" our product is all U.S. stainless steel including the flanges so you'll never have a rust problem. Ours are probably the easiest to install and have the best ground clearance. Our product is made here by us so quality control is'nt an issue. As far as HP differences I have'nt seen a real comparison done between the brands mentioned and ours.Another thing is with your input about your specific combo or hp goals we can build you exactly what you need instead of comprimising with an off the shelf part number
Old 11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I'm very happy with my ARH. Here are some pix I snapped as part of the install.

They fit tight, and went right in. I only needed to remove the heat shield to slide them in then put them back on. No K-member or engine tab mods needed. There is plenty of clearance on my car, and it's dropped 2".

The only thing I wish ARH did was to include 1 more clamp to attach the Y to the catback. Their clamps are much nicer than the one I found to do it!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Teching In

what does everyone think of the Dynatech headers? They seem to be a split in the price vs. quality.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Check texas speed longtubes 1 7/8 primaries ceramic coated cant remember how much they cost of the top of my head, but you wont be dissapointed in in the performance though.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with ARH. I havent found a better header to date that fit and performed like ARH. You will be amazed at how they fit. If you need a set PM me and i can get you set up with a set.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at our new 1 7/8 Header, we see better performance then a pacesetter for a marginal price difference. Give us a call and we can set you up with a pair.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=899&catid=45
Old 11-04-2008, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

^If under a budget get the TSP.
If you want something a bit better get QTP LT's.
about 300 dollars difference.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do it right the first time and get coated or stainless steel ones. You don't want to be replace them later on because you cheaped out and bought the cheapest uncoated Pacesetter ones. I have Hooker ceramic coated LTs on my Z and they bolted up perfect without any trouble and a year latter they still shine like the day i installed them. In the end it is all personal preference, do a little shopping and see what you would like to do, it is your car you do what you feel is right.

Make sure to start it with open headers at least once.... It will bring a smile to your face
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1ncalifornia
I am looking into getting either American Racing or Pacesetter heaaders. I was told by the shop here in California that for a budget header Pacesetter is the way to go and when spending real money American Racing is the way to go. How much difference is between the two, is it worth it to spend double the money? Thanks for any advice.
KOOKS Or American Racing. If want the BEST!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

I have coated Pacesetters and like em.....never seen big enough difference to justify the cost on the stainless headers....... but on the other hand I've had my headers for about 2 years and they look like it, also just had to patch a hole in my ORY (not stainless)
Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARH fit great. i will give them that. for what i paid for them i was a tad dissapointed when i pulled them out of the box.. i had to dress some of the flanges where the primary tubes had been "blended" and finish the blending process someone else failed to finish wherever they make the headers. like i said they literally dropped right in. my friend had a lot more trouble getting his kooks in (his still werent hard, but compared to mine..) and its safe to call him a pretty darn good wrench - he could easily be a speed shop service manager kinda guy

i also had problems ordering an accessory for my exhaust system from ARH. so the customer service

i removed the rest of my original post. ill bash ARH on my own thread when i get time to actually make it. i built my duals back in june but im a busy guy and havent got around to tootin my own horn just yet.

Last edited by Coreyc619; 11-05-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

i have pacesetters and a friend of mine has the edlebrock and they are alot better looking and there stepped
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
ARH fit great. i will give them that. for what i paid for them i was a tad dissapointed when i pulled them out of the box.. i had to dress some of the flanges where the primary tubes had been "blended" and finish the blending process someone else failed to finish wherever they make the headers. like i said they literally dropped right in. my friend had a lot more trouble getting his kooks in (his still werent hard, but compared to mine..) and its safe to call him a pretty darn good wrench - he could easily be a speed shop service manager kinda guy

i also had problems ordering an accessory for my exhaust system from ARH. so the customer service bit *****. i literally was told i was going to receive the merge i wanted 3 times and they took my credit card and everything and it never showed up, they claimed later it wasnt available, yet when i called they said it could be done.. please. its a custom header shop, and i needed a merge that was already a part of my y pipe, i just needed a nother one exactly like it (my point is they were already set up to mass produce this merge it prolly took 5 minutes to finally fill my order) in the end at least nick(owner) took the time to call me on his vacation from his cell phone and push it through.. but only after i offered to send the headers/y-pipe back for them being stubborn and dickin me around. they still charged me 80 ***** F'n dollars after all that for a stamped MERGE.. but i had to have it for what i was doing.

to give you an idea i converted their y to an x. no matter how many times i tried to explain it they either didnt get it, or they thought i was a jackass that was going to hack up one of their "artworks" i hardly think thats the case. see college student craftsmanship for yourself.. and all with scrap pipe i dug out of the throw away pile at the local muffler shop.. i did the job in my boss' back yard (he has a lift)

That is DAMN NICE!!!