Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help power steering problem

OK I took off the pulley no problem. I need help putting it back on, I have the install kit. When I was puting the pulley back on the bolt stripped out the inside of the PS. Will I need to get a new PS pump or is there a way to fix it? The other thing is since it stripped out I told my self I just hammer the pulley back on. It was working but then the pulley cracked, were can I get a new one?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You just need to get a whole new pump and pulley. It is likely to damage the pump by hammering on it. Just get a new assembly and start over.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You aren't supposed to Hammer on them, that special Puller/Pusher is the only thing you are supposed to use.

I know you said that it stripped, which part of it stripped? I've always screwed the shaft all the way in, and then used a couple of Crescent Wrenches, and turn-pressed the Pulley on.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it stripped inside the pump. I screwed it in until it wouldn't screw no more then I stared pushing on the pulley. the pulley when on about 1/3 of the way when the screw came out and it wont screw back into the pump. any Ideas where I can get a new pulley. I going to go the the auto part store and see if they sell the pulley. I know they sell the pump but it was without the pulley.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Junkyard, someone might have on in the Classifieds here..