Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My idea for true duals over the axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My idea for true duals over the axle

I'm tired of my loud low hanging exhaust and the slight rasp that still exist's in my current system.
The current system is comprised of stainless steel QTP HVMC LT's, ORY-pipe, and Hooker catback.

My biggest complaint is how low the y-pipe hangs followed closely by how loud the muffler has gotten over the past few years.

I've always wanted to do my own true dual system, and here's what I've come up with in MS paint

All stainless steel system, 2.5" diameter 409 grade under the car for the tubing, 3" diameter 304 or 316 grade after the axle.
I already have the sweet thunder mufflers and Mecham tips as I've had about four other exhaust's.

My concern is with the noise with this layout and what it might sound like with two x-pipes, one real x-pipe, then another in the muffler?
I've thought I might have to go to two individual mufflers to both make it more quiet, and also elminiate the second x.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

looks good, it shouldnt be real loud with the magnaflow and the sweet thunders, thats gona be a bitchin system when its done!
Old 11-30-2008, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

I own an F-body, and run a muffler shop. Your idea is good, feasable, but not really doable without some serious money. Who do you know who has a mandrel pipe bending machine? I do not. Stainless is way too pricey...especially to be experimenting with. The area over the axle is pretty tight and you will either have rubbing/bumping issues, or alot of wated pipe trying to get the bends right. Then the outlet on the drivers side that is supposed to feed around the front of the muffler and out the passenger side wll not work due to the bend that it has to make 180 degrees may not fit. And lastly...are you aware of how much this thing will weigh?

A single 3" inlet dual outlet catback fed from a 3" y pipe flows just great, weighs less, and if you really need less restriction for racing....put an inline cutout on it.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've taken something similar to a muffler shop, and even providing the mandrel bends, it's not something most will do.
I plan to do this myself on my ramp, and buy the bends online.
They actually aren't too expensive $30 for a 2.5" mandrel U bend, and $40 for a 3" mandrel U bend, both 304 SS.

Dual 2.5" can be snaked over the axle, but yes it's tight.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rough-cme.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pics-vid.html

Coming out of the muffler on the driver's side, if you can make a 90, you can make a 180.
The thing will weigh a lot, but any true duals over the axle's going to be heavy.
Totalling up the materials I'm at less than $800 for a completely stainless system.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats basicly a copy of the Bassanni system with the exception of the sweet thunders which I would not do.

Makes no sense to start out with 2.5 and step up to 3" out back. A system that changes sizes usually starts out with larger pipe then neck down smaller.

You may want to add in the panhard bar relocation kit for more clearance over the axle.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing. You are still gonna have rasp at some rpm, probably around 2500 +/- 500, every system resonates different.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

For performace, yes you would start out with 3" and neck down to 2.5".
The problem is that ground clearance under my lowered car will not allow 3" up front. Going to 3" in the rear is for better flow thru the muffler, the looks of 3" vs 2.5" since it will be visible from the rear, and my Mecham tips are for 3" pipe.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats a lot of piping and bends. I'd leave the magnaflow muffler off and just run a couple sweet thunders and exit them out the back using all 2.5". If you are concerned about rasp just run a couple spun cats and the sweet thunders. Cats weigh nothing compared to just about any muflers. imo.. You will loose just as much HP by running multiple mufflers as you will running cats.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

It may look neat on paper and doable in real life but is it worth $800 bucks? If I were looking for another exhaust system I wouldnt try to spend 800 bucks and do it myself in hopes it turns out. I would by a nice catback and call it a day.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True duals aren't that expensive in themselves, it's really the shops that determine that. If you are lucky to find a shop that does mandrel bending of SS as a specialty, then you would be in luck. I had my true duals over the axle with x-pipe custom piping done for $500, spent $150 on cats, $200 on mufflers, $100 on tips, $700 on QTP headers, then ceramic coated the headers for $300. You can see where the "saved" money on the true duals went lol

If you don't care for emissions or mufflers and use pacesetters, the price of duals gets even better.

If you think you get a performance advantage, forget it. A y-pipe setup can be done for cheaper. I did mine for the uniqueness factor really as everyone around me has some y-pipe setup that sounds badass, mine sounds good, but with my own signature to it.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

I think its a cool theory, but just too overly complicated and expensive to be worth it. Also, it would weigh more than any other exhaust system you could imagine.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

it would probably be more cost efective buying the bassan and adding you sweet thunders when they fab it up to your long tubes
Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks good but...
Old 11-30-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

that will be heavy
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so many guys have gotten a flowmaster merge welded in place of their y-pipe's merge... why not just have a x- or h- crossover installed instead... then purchase two intermediate/over-the-axle pre fabbed pipes (Dynomax for aluminized, Stainless Werks for Stainless)... then from there, you'll have to get crafty but a few bends and some short mufflers and you will have a rather nice system

Quick Reply: My idea for true duals over the axle