Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what happens when your catch can fills up all the way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what happens when your catch can fills up all the way?

I find that in the winter my Elite Engineering catch can fills up with condensation. I changed my oil this past Saturday and hadn't checked the catch can in awhile because the car uses very little oil. To my surprise it was full-up with water/oil mix. I'm 100% certain it's not coolant or any other issue as I notice this effect everytime the weather turns cold. This is the first time I've ever let it get this far.

Does the PCV system sill function? I would think once full up to the filtering mesh the can would no longer get condensation in it because there is no air in there so it can only fill up so far... so the PCV gasses would still have somewhere to go. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I never had issues w/ my dipstick blowing out. If the PCV was blocked I'd have a dipstick issue right? Or oil pushing through the fresh air line right?

Reason I ask is prior to my oil change I was getting 13.x MPG city no matter what I did. Tonight I checked and all city/around town driving I was averaging right at 18.0 mpg... it was great.

Plus, my rear bumper has been exceptionally dirty lately... moreso than normal. I'm curious to find out if it will stay cleaner now.

For reference my car is a 2001 Z06 w/ a G5-X2 114lsa cam and boltons. Car has Kooks headers w/ cats etc. 42lb injectors.

~Brian
Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

It's connected to the manifold right? If it fills up with anything it's going to just suck it right into the intake.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep... connected to my stock LS6 PCV system going from the valley cover to the manifold.

Trying to figure why I have a sudded 5 mpg jump in city mileage. I put 42s in the car and was wondering if that may be the cause, but everyone said the car is trying to maintain stoich anyway so big injectors shouldn't be an issue assuming proper tuning.

Can an oil change be worth that much?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned

A dirty rear bumper, catch can full of crap, I'd say it was getting a few solid streams of whatever was in the catch can and screwing with the O2 sensor's.

Think.....you changed the oil, AND you changed injectors.
Oil change? not a chance in hell. Injectors, probably but you don't provide much info on when in relationship to the mpg going to crap.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Injectors have been in since the cam swap back in early '07. My gas mileage was in the 15-17 rage around town. Then in November '07 I started my targa conversion and the car was barely driven until that was all done in August of this year. Once I started driving the car again the latter 1/2 of this year is when I noticed the gas mileage in the dumps (13s).

Not sure what it would have been... car ran fine, just used more fuel than normal.

Quick Reply: So what happens when your catch can fills up all the way?