Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air intake and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake and exhaust

Hey guys, i just bought a 98 ss and its bone stock. wanting to go big with it but for now its my daily driver and im just wanting to start with the basics and was wondering what the best intake and exhaust was going to be?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

There is no "best" setup. Everyone will tell you something different. Personally, I'm going for a typhoon 85mm intake with TSP true duals for exhaust. That's just what works for me though. I advise going with a lid first. The true f-body first mod. Also, it all depends on your price range. I've noticed a lot of people go with FAST intakes, usually 90-92mm with a price in upwards of 800-900 dollars. A lot of people also go with loudmouth exhaust, you can expect to pay 400 for it brand new.

And if all else, just go with an LS6 intake with EGR provisions. SLP makes a great one. It's good for about 10 HP over what you ahve now.

Last edited by 00Antivenom; 01-10-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

for intake do a lid, most people go with the slp
for exhaust go with anything except flowmaster
and 90% of people on here will tell you to do longtube headers too. i agree.

if you're gonna do headers though i'd stay away from the loudmouth 1 exhaust unless you like REALLY loud cars. and a fast 90 or 92 intake is not necessary at this point. if you wanna do an intake mani i'd go with an ls6 for now and then if you go huge upgrade it. a FAST isn't necessary on a bolt on car, you'll probably lose more than you'll gain.

Last edited by therealcreeper; 01-10-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
for intake do a lid, most people go with the slp

for exhaust go with anything except flowmaster

and 90% of people on here will tell you to do longtube headers too. i agree.
Headers is my next step at the end of the month. Wish me luck
Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

hahah. i'm doing mine soon too. it better be worth it.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

ls6 inteak good for u

fast 92 with H/c

air lid

umm i think fast toys the best because 85mm

but most op ppl run slp

goodluck
Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

STS turbo kit would wrap up both intake and exhaust.

But seriously, stop right now and make yourself a list. List your goals and your budget. After you find that out you can take a better aproach to it.
For example - Many people like the SLP loudmouth 1 catback on a car with stock manifolds and cats, but as soon as you take off the cats and/or add longtubes, the exhaust gets too loud/raspy for many peoples tastes. So sit down and make your list and you hopefully wont buy parts twice. But rather you will start with the basics that will work towards your final expectations.

But an SLP Lid and a catback would be a good start.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by HMERacing
STS turbo kit would wrap up both intake and exhaust.

But seriously, stop right now and make yourself a list. List your goals and your budget. After you find that out you can take a better aproach to it.
For example - Many people like the SLP loudmouth 1 catback on a car with stock manifolds and cats, but as soon as you take off the cats and/or add longtubes, the exhaust gets too loud/raspy for many peoples tastes. So sit down and make your list and you hopefully wont buy parts twice. But rather you will start with the basics that will work towards your final expectations.

But an SLP Lid and a catback would be a good start.
yeah thats what im trying not to do because my goal is big turbo and a good shot. but now i have to build the savings back up after buying this car. i know i have a long road ahead of me, but for now she is just going to be a daily driver (but i just cant handle having anything stock!)
Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 88_trex
yeah thats what im trying not to do because my goal is big turbo and a good shot. but now i have to build the savings back up after buying this car. i know i have a long road ahead of me, but for now she is just going to be a daily driver (but i just cant handle having anything stock!)
if you're planning on going with a rear mount when you go turbo you're already doing what you're trying to avoid.

just as you don't do a loudmouth if you're gonna do headers, you probably don't want to do longtubes if you're going with a rear mount. that's if you want the full potential of it of course. some people still run it with longtubes just for the sound. i'm sure it's not a huge difference, but stock manifolds are better than longtubes when you use a rear mount turbo setup.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
a FAST isn't necessary on a bolt on car, you'll probably lose more than you'll gain.
Where do you get your mis-information? A FAST intake gains everywhere even on a stock vehicle, it made 21rwhp on my truck with no changes other than swapping from LS2 to FAST 90mm. NO tuning or anything, just dropping it on.

The first thing I would do it try to find a used FAST for $500. Its awesome, I love it on mine. My engine is stock with manifolds and all too.

Headers, catback, and lid are a good place to start also.

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 01-11-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Where do you get your mis-information? A FAST intake gains everywhere even on a stock vehicle, it made 21rwhp on my truck with no changes other than swapping from LS2 to FAST 90mm. NO tuning or anything, just dropping it on.
http://image63.webshots.com/563/8/36...5kvIzdU_fs.jpg

The first thing I would do it try to find a used FAST for $500. Its awesome, I love it on mine. My engine is stock with manifolds and all too.

i was assuming(and seem to remember reading) that you'd lose some low end torque with it on a near stock car, but after just reading up a bit i guess you really don't.

still, on a near stock car a FAST will not provide much more gain than an LS6. you're spending 2-3 times as much money for an extra few horsepower. since you're planning on going turbo eventually it may be worth it just so you don't have to go back and redo it, but for a bolt on car(how it will be for a while) it's overkill.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

5 ebay electric turbos in series ftmfw!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://image63.webshots.com/563/8/36...5kvIzdU_fs.jpg

A fast intake on a stock 98 head with stock cam (and no other bolt ons either) is a complete waste. Bad advice. His car is currently making about 300rwhp.

Once he gets the normal bolt ons, some nice CNC'd heads and a decent cam the fast intake will work great.

And the LS2 intake is known to be a poor performer. You would have picked up power by putting on an LS6 intake.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

lid and catback. Lids are all the same and so are catback pretty much. Just go by which sound you like more.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by massls1guy
A fast intake on a stock 98 head with stock cam (and no other bolt ons either) is a complete waste. Bad advice. His car is currently making about 300rwhp.

Once he gets the normal bolt ons, some nice CNC'd heads and a decent cam the fast intake will work great.
I disagree with you also. My truck made just under 300rwhp and picked up everywhere so a drop on part worth 21rwhp is far from a complete waste. The LS6 cant ever keep up with the FAST.

It comes down to cost, but you can go wrong with a decently priced used FAST intake.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 PM

I disagree with you also. My truck made just under 300rwhp and picked up everywhere so a drop on part worth 21rwhp is far from a complete waste. The LS6 cant ever keep up with the FAST.

It comes down to cost, but you can go wrong with a decently priced used FAST intake.
i would rather spend a little more on the intake that i will need when i am able to step up to the turbo. is the fast intake what ill want to find for when i turbo?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let me just say that I don't hate the fast intake - in fact I hope to get one someday after I get some decent CNC'd heads on my car.

It would be interesting to see how your truck would do with the LS6 intake. If you search around here a lot of people have seen better results with the LS6 vs the LS2 intake. So I think the starting HP number for your truck was on the low side.

Here is one comparison of intakes. I found it on the internet so it must be true, LOL:
http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10974.php

Also the price that LS2 intake sells for used is for a reason. Here is a recent post asking for $75 for LS2 intakes:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...2-intakes.html

The LS6 intakes usually go for over $250 or so.

If you read the dyno section the fast shows great gains on cars making over 400rwhp or so. It can vary a lot on the setup but in general I think that's true. And under 350hp or so it doesn't show much gain over the LS6.

Here's an interesting post for a bolt on car getting a fast 90:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...0-results.html

In a nutshell he did gain 10 peak HP but lost at all rpms below 5500.

On a 300hp car I think the money could be better spent on other mods.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 88_trex
i would rather spend a little more on the intake that i will need when i am able to step up to the turbo. is the fast intake what ill want to find for when i turbo?
i'm not bashing the FAST. it IS better than the ls6, it's just how much better that's the discussion.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tup-boost.html

and i've heard of a few people having problems with it with boost...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...0-blew-up.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...turbo-kit.html

i'm sure it only happens to a VERY small percentage of people, but the 2 piece design does seem make it more prone to leaking or cracking under boost.