Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Plug wire lenght

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Plug wire lenght

Those of you who are using MSD plug wires what is the lenght of the wire from end to end? I just recently purchased a set of Taylors Thunderbolt 50 wires and they ranges from 10 to 12 inches in lenght from end to end of each wire. Stock wires have a lenght of 8 inches from end to end is there a good aftermarket wire that is not longer than 8 inches?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by M. Red WS6
Those of you who are using MSD plug wires what is the lenght of the wire from end to end? I just recently purchased a set of Taylors Thunderbolt 50 wires and they ranges from 10 to 12 inches in lenght from end to end of each wire. Stock wires have a lenght of 8 inches from end to end is there a good aftermarket wire that is not longer than 8 inches?

My MSD's are between 9 1/2"-10" long.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought NGK TR55 plugs and MSD wires for 68 bucks shipped from CC Performance Parts, LLC

http://estore.websitepros.com/2120533/Detail.bok?no=2

They were about a 1/2 inch longer than the stock wires
Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a universal set that MSD makes. Been a while since I have sold parts so I don't remember the PN on this particular set, but that may be what you want to try. Universal kit is about 15$ more though. you will have some left over when you are done for sure. Usually used for conversions and other special applications.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Here you go, I found this for you.

99blancoSS
LS1TECH Sponsor
My Garage

Trader Rating: 82

The MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wire is "the" performance wire. Engineered from the inside out, the 8.5 offers everything you have ever wanted in a wire; incredibly low resistance without electronic interference!

In a single 12 inch length of Super Conductor Wire there is only 40 - 50 ohms of resistance! That is the lowest resistance of any helically wound wire. To accomplish this, we use a copper alloy conductor due to it's great voltage carrying capabilities. The low resistance results in less loss in spark energy so more reaches the spark plug. The conductor is wound extremely tight around a special center core. So tight in fact, that there is over 40 feet of conductor wrapped into a single foot of plug wire. This winding procedure, combined with a ferro-magnetic impregnated center core, produces an extremely effective Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) "choke". This choke, or suppression capability, keeps the EMI inside the wire where it cannot interfere with other electronics on your vehicle.

The outer sleeve that surrounds the conductor assembly is just as impressive. A proprietary blend of silicone and synthetic material produce a sleeve that is highly resistant to high heat as well as abrasion and tears.

It isn't just about resistance.

Choice is yours $150-$200 for a set of wires or $68 with plugs from me. I'll set you a set of wires for $1000 if you want.

There is no appreciable loss in the MSD. The length of the MSD wire in the LS1 is 8" not 12.5" either.

I've seen people drop $300 for wires as well. Personal choice, I guess if you can afford them and you think they make you faster than thats all you need.

I do have a 0 ohm wire that someone wants me to look at. Its constructed very similar to the MSD but instead of one wound wire it uses 5 but we need to do testing for EMI
Ron Davis Racing.. radiators and heat extractors finest in the business
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply's guys I appreciate the feedback. I just don't want to buy a set of wires that will melt by being in contact with the headers because they are too long.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

I have ceramic coated stainless LT's on mine. The MSD's dont even come close to the primaries, no worries here. If you are worried just get plug wire thermal sleeves.