Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on my FLP's. Only 11 months old.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rust on my FLP's. Only 11 months old.

I got rust all over the bottom of my FLP's and these were supposed to have been coated from the "better coating company". I called Mitch from FLP and he told me to contact Airborn coatings. I got no apology, no exlpanation, no nothing. This sucks. I mean these headers were $1300.00. Airborn coatings told me that they are covered for 3 years but that's not the point. My car sat in the garage from last Nov to March so salt is not the issue here and has only seen rain a handfull of times. I think FLP should hand over some cash for the labor that's involved in installing their headers.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Rust on my FLP's. Only 11 months old.

unfortunately if you read their "actual" warranty statement...it probably excludes anything you do...meaning the time it takes to put them on and take them off is not their part..so its not covered under warranty......it only covers the coating....the actual headers may have a whole different warranty...check both incase of problems not covered by the rust that formed and may have damaged them....most warrantys only cover the product itself...and not any extra services that it may incur...
Old 10-15-2003, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have FLPs too. I am getting discoloration down by the collectors. The water (condensation)that runs off the A/C system is doing it.

I don't care what company does the coating on headers. None of it is really that great.

I have said many times before; The only headers that are worth a **** will be made from 304 stainless. And thats not the same stainless that SPL headers are made from either (that's 409 stainless)

Of course, that doesn't help our situation at this time, now does it.

Ron,
Old 10-15-2003, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know I will get bashed for this but, did you every clean the headers/y-pipe off and polish them. I have FLPs with the Airborn coating. I have cleaned them off with a ScotBrite pad with warm water and then polished them with "Mothers Mag wheel polish" per Airborn doc that came with the headers. They still shine as if they where new. No rust or anything. Sure there are some areas I cannot get to but all other areas are fine.

We spend all this time keeping our car's clean and polished but don't spend the time doing this to keep the headers/y-pipe looking new. I do it during the oil change.

OK, start the bashing.

-Tom
Old 10-15-2003, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No bashing coming from me. Good idea.

But ..... There ain't nothing like headers made from good ol' 304 stainless. As a matter of fact, I believe those Kooks they are now selling here are actually made from 304. Of course your going to pay a good penny for them. Again, that's not the real answer he is looking for. I will bet a lot of the "rust" he says he is getting is actually surface discoloration from the A/C water. He may at least try to get under the car and use that ScotchBrite and Mother's polish (or whatever). He may find out that they clean up pretty good. I think I will do the same whenever I get time....
Old 10-15-2003, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Thats why I bought coated headers, you should not have to do anything to the coating to make it last. Plus I never received an Airborne document w/headers.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

When I ordered my headers I ask FLP about the rust issue and Mitch told me that when they first started selling their headers they used a different coating company which was prone to rust. He told me not to worry about it because the problem was solved by changing coating companies but it was a big secret who it was. He Would not tell me if it was Airborn,Hpc,Jet Hot etc; I didn't get any documentation either. My "rust" is way beyond the Scotchbrite pad. There is actually big pitted areas where the coating came off and I do not even have the AC belt on my car so the discoloration is not due to running my AC.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a set back in may, and my paper said that they were jet hotted. i have no discoloration, but it did say to clean them up every once in a while

trying cleaning them first

jimmy
Old 10-15-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

I did try to clean them. The coating actually fell off in some places.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I know I will get bashed for this but, did you every clean the headers/y-pipe off and polish them. I have FLPs with the Airborn coating. I have cleaned them off with a ScotBrite pad with warm water and then polished them with "Mothers Mag wheel polish" per Airborn doc that came with the headers. They still shine as if they where new. No rust or anything. Sure there are some areas I cannot get to but all other areas are fine.

We spend all this time keeping our car's clean and polished but don't spend the time doing this to keep the headers/y-pipe looking new. I do it during the oil change.

OK, start the bashing.
& i thuoght i was the only one doing this! Go ahead, beat me up too...

-Tom
Old 10-15-2003, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine are still horrible, I was one of the first people to have the F-body LT headers by them....when I told them about the problem they told me that they switched to a different coating company, and that I could call them and get my headers recoated....

I'm going to be doing this in the future, so I hope they hold their "promise"