Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/Cats and Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers/Cats and Inspection

Has anyone on this board passed inspection with Long Tube headers/cats in the state of DE? I have a '98 Z28 with mods in signature. I am considering getting the Borla Y-pipe to go with my Borla Exhaust, but keep hearing that I should go with Headers instead. I would love to purchase a set of headers but am afraid to fail inspection. I want to keep my car street legal since I do not take it to the track. But I have the SLP CAI up front and Borla Cat in the rear, and feel I need to complete the middle section of the exhaust for maximum performance. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether to pick up headers or just stick with a y-pipe or have experience with inspection in DE? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-18-2003, 02:04 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Headers/Cats and Inspection

you wont see much gain from just a Y pipe. the stock one flows quite well for what it is. if you want to stay completely emissions legal then your only choice is some shorties. in the **** smog state of cali i said **** it and got some LT's anyway . were worth it, now i gotta figure out what im gonna do come emissions time
Old 10-18-2003, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't waste your money on the Y, plenty of people in Delaware have passed with cams, headers etc.I'm looking for headers as we speak, I'm lowered so SLP's are not an option, search around.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

I recommend that you call the main office for the emissions program and ask what the law is. Each state is different.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Don't waste your money on the Y, plenty of people in Delaware have passed with cams, headers etc.I'm looking for headers as we speak, I'm lowered so SLP's are not an option, search around.
Could you keep me up to date on your situation and what you might be considering. I have been thinking about his for about 2 years. I am looking at QTP, FLP, and Hooker with QTP y-pipe/cats. Just curious as to whether you have passed inspection with the LS1 HotCam or not. If you would not mind, keep me up to date on your situation. I would like to hear your setup when complete.
Where in Wilmington are you located? I live right off of Naamans Road. What color is your car? Curious as to whether or not I have seen it around. Thanks, Mike
Old 10-20-2003, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Mike:

I live in PA, not too far from you guys in DE!!
I am always up near Rt 202 and Naamans Rd.

I have a 98 WS6 that I just installed the new JetHot Headers and Catted Y-pipe. It is awesome. Passing emissions should be no problem at all since JetHot tested there equipment in PA anyway. As for visual inspectioin that may be different since the cats look so small and hardly can be seen.

Let me know if you want to see the setup.
I also installed a Magnaflow exhaust system and Whisper Lid at the same time.

Rick
rickgrebner@comcast.net