Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTM 92mm TB Sticking, wont return Texas speed help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTM 92mm TB Sticking, wont return Texas speed help

I just recently bought a fast 92 and ptm 92 TB and Installed it all the tb didn't have any insructions with it so Im making sure I didnt miss something.
I can never manage to give texas speed a call when they are open so hoping to get some help online.

So heres what happens. The car runs itself up to 2000 rpm when started and stays there unless you move the tb back about an 1/8th of an inch by hand. Also the throttle cable is very tight and might be causing an issue. Anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to adjust the tension of my throttle cable without buying a bracket? Even with the throttle cable off the TB sticks 1/8th in before fully closed.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd try loosening the blade screws a bit, just
snug enough to hold the blade against gravity.
Hopefully they are not staked so hard that
you can't back them out a hair.

Back out the stop screw so the blade can bind
up against the throat.

Then open the blade fully and let it snap down
hard. This will center the blade.

Now tighten the blade in place. Then crank in
the stop screw until the blade is not resting
on the casting. Action should have no drag.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your problem is with the tb itself, then it's an easy fix. This is not a common problem with the PTM. You need to find something that is .0015 thick. The easiest thing to find would be the plastic wrap off a pack of cigarettes. Loosen the blades screws; place the shim in between the blade and the tb housing in the closed position. Just for insurance place some loctite on the bolts and tighten them up. Open the tb up and the plastic shims will fall out. This will fix any problems that you have.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just spoke with you on the phone, but to re-iterate: What TVWilkes said is perfect. It shims the blade away from the body equally (as long as you're using the same material for all the shims) and then you re-tighten the screws.

If that doesn't work, definitely let us know and we'll get you fixed up!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Got er done. Works great. you texas boys definitely know how to do customer service. So what cam do you think I sould switch to? Im currently running your 233/239 w/ the prc stg 2.5 5.3l heads. It only put down 398hp, I was also running a ls6 intake w/85mm tb, 1 3/4 slp headers w/ cats and LM1 when I had it dynoed. I recently put on your 1 7/8 race headers with true duals and the 92/92 intake setup. I dont think that will be enough to get to 450hp, so...........what cam can my springs accomodate that will give me a good curve and meet my 450hp goal?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Teching In

i am having the same problem with the ptm 92mm also i will try that out and see if it works thanks