Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just when i thought i had fixed it all....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry just when i thought i had fixed it all....

ok so i get my headers installed, rebolt the ypipe after messing with it for several hours, check it to see if it knocks, it doesnt, so i take it to the shop to have it wielded. so im driving down the street and it still doesnt knock, except only when i slowly roll out of first gear at low rpms, as if im gonna stall..AHHH...i checked it by putting the E brake on and putting it in first gear and letting the rpms drop real low and it doesnt knock. i even give it some gas and it still doesnt knock. only when i drive, and its only in first gear that it does this. also the knock is more up front, sounds like its coming from right underneath the pedals...any suggestions??
Old 10-26-2003, 07:05 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look & see if it got marks on the Y pipe at either under the driver seat or near the bolt on sheetmetal crossmember.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Check to see if its hiting the edge of the K member.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think it might be hitting the K member but im not sure..if it is what should i do to fix it??
Old 10-26-2003, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Two things to try first,if its hitting the K member you will see visual evidence where it is coming in contact, either grind the K member there or use a prybar to pry the header over slightly to gain some clearence ,may have to do a combination of both,what type of LT's are they?
Old 10-26-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they are jet hot long tubes and i also have the jet hot y pipe
Old 10-26-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

If it is hitting somewhere else like on the y pipe or later you might be able to get away with wedging a thick heat resistant peice of rubber inbetween the pipes and wherever it is hitting. This worked on my true duals, I got the rubber peices from a muffler shop for free. You just have to figure out where it is hitting. Due to the heat though I dont think I would try wedging rubber in where it is touching right on the header cause it probably will melt. Good luck finding where it is hitting.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

motor mount perhaps?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much would a motor mount cost and would i have to disconnect the headers again to install it?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Mine is touching the K Member and the Y Pipe is banging as well. Does this cause false knock and therefore a reduction in power from knock retard?

I am getting about 4* of KR at 4400 RPM.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigBlackZ28
Mine is touching the K Member and the Y Pipe is banging as well. Does this cause false knock and therefore a reduction in power from knock retard?

I am getting about 4* of KR at 4400 RPM.

I have the Pacesetters also and mine don't come close to the K member, I did have to adjust the y pipe because it did rub the SLP SFC's, no longer an issue. I am sure the KR could be caused by the contact.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright i fixed it. it was the K member..had a nice ding in it. but i have one other "inconvienence." i think my heat shield on the right side is rattling. i tightened up the screws but it didnt seem to help. is there anything i can do to fix this or should i just go ahead and take it off? is that even a good idea?