Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issues Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issues Need Help

How you doing guys, I've got an 02 SS Camaro SLP. Im kind of new to this forum, and everything so take it easy on me if my question is easily resolvable. My issue is, whenever I rev to about 5500 to 6 grand, and dump the clutch, my car does to do a burnout instead just acts as though I am slowly letting the clutch out. My car oddly does not have a traction control button, but I know it does have traction control. Sometimes the car will do a nasty burnout, other times, like I say I will straight dump the clutch, and the car just acts like im easing the clutch out. This is very annoying, and embarassing depending on if im trying to show out .. Does this mean that my clutch is probably going bad, or i'm having an electrical issue with traction control or what? Thanks! Ryan
Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your clutch is slipping.

Time to replace the clutch and flywheel.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Teching In

That may be the case, but i've had a clutch go bad before and whenever I would get on it, the car would slip. This isn't the case right now, i can get on it all day long and it pull steady?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its hard to diagnose based on the information your giving...

How do you know your car has traction control?? If there is no ASR button, you should't have it, period. Unless someone took out the button, which would be strange.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Oh ok, I just assumed that it had traction control. No it does not have the ASR button. It has the spot right next to the fog light switch where one would go, so I am assuming now that the car doesn't have traction control. So that eliminates that?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

A word of advice. How about you don't dump the clutch at 6k. Something will eventually break. Just throwing that out there.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Yea, this is not something that I do all of the time. It is just an issue even whenever I go to the track. I know it isn't something that is normal, so that's why i'm trying to figure out why it is doing it. And as for the 6grand, rarely do I ever rev it there. I was just throwing that number out there, it usually is right around 4500 to 5000 that I "dump" the clutch to try and break loose.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

What rearend and tires do you have that you are dumping the clutch at 5 grand to try and break the tires loose?
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Stock rearend, with bfg g super sports. My whole question here is why does the car break loose and do a burnout or whatnot sometimes whenever I dump the clutch, and other times whenever I do the same exact thing the clutch just acts like im easily letting it out as though im just strolling along. I don't know if what im saying is making sense but I can try and explain it more if I need to..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Really sounds like traction control if its not a slipping clutch, you said there is a spot where the button would be, did you mean it is an empty spot like the switch is missing? or is it fillied in? If its a empty hole you need to find the switch or put one in and go from there.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Yea there is a spot where a button could go, but it is filled in with plastic. Not as though someone took out the button. I guess it will just work itself out. This is not a huge issue, just annoying whenever I can't do burnouts sometimes. Thanks for all the help!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02SSbowtie
Stock rearend, with bfg g super sports. ...

Gonna be one more "dead" 10 bolt on this board verrrrry shortly...
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dig around on InstallUniversity and the How-To sections here and find the "Drill Mod". This easy modification, plus a flush and fill with fresh hydraulic fluid, might cure your problem.

A good indicator would be the color of your current fluid in the clutch reservoir. Nice 'n black? It's time for a flush...and the drill mod while you're under the car.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

maybe the problem is hydraulic and the fluid isnt returning to the master cylinder quickly, in which case that drill mod may help. you might look into a master cylinder too, there are some better ones out there, like the large bore ones, etc...

You should be able to tell that though by how the clutch pedal reacts to being just slammed released, like it should hit the stopper hard and be loud when you pop it, or if you keep your foot on it, it should push your foot off hard and fast, if it is coming off the floor slow and soft you have a hydraulic blockage and that will make the clutch slip out like that.

I dont have a stick shift F body but the people I know that do always bitched about the clutch, and the problem is the hydraulic system, well there are better shifters too, regardless if its your problem or not you should look into upgrading the hydraulic system.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Sounds like your clutch is slipping.

Time to replace the clutch and flywheel.
+1 Sure sounds suspicious

Maybe from a "Budget" clutch replacement job a while back? I had a friends Mustang Cobra do the same thing ( I realize it's a different car)...but it was a dealership warranty job....pulled it apart...POS clutch.