Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished my Ls6 intake install on a 2000 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just finished my Ls6 intake install on a 2000 Camaro

Just wanted to post this so that people can ask questions and I can help them out with the install. There is a lot of info floating around here, hopefully we can start up a thread that people can search to that will answer all their questions. I know there are already threads, but for those who can't search this is here. lol

UPDATE:
i just got done starting/driving my car for the first time. all is well for me, OPSU was not broken, and it idle like a champ.

i can definately feel a harder pull in the upper rpms after the p&p tb and ls6 intake. it was well worth the install for how easy it was to do, id say after everything was said and done, it took about 5 hours for everything, that includes: removed the ls1, after that i transferred everything from the ls1 to the ls6, then i ground the ribbs down, then i did the throttle body bypass mod, then i put the ls6 intake back on, tb back on, and the lid back on.

Last edited by twitchtwice; 04-29-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Could you tell a difference in the performance of your car after the install?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Could you tell a difference in the performance of your car after the install?
i havnt started the car just yet, im waiting on my p&p tb to come back, then ill let you know. i expect a decent increase with both of them put on at once.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much for everything so far?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

the intake itself was 300, and i paid 65 for the port and polish of the throttle body. i decided to get brand new gaskets for the intake just to be on the safe side, they are $23. let me look up the part number real quick, i got them from oriley. and i did not get the new coolant lines because i read about the whole #7 cylinder deal and decided to grind the intake down and leave the ls1 lines. i have pictures of where i grinded down if anyone needs them.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
the intake itself was 300, and i paid 65 for the port and polish of the throttle body. i decided to get brand new gaskets for the intake just to be on the safe side, they are $23. let me look up the part number real quick, i got them from oriley. and i did not get the new coolant lines because i read about the whole #7 cylinder deal and decided to grind the intake down and leave the ls1 lines. i have pictures of where i grinded down if anyone needs them.
im interested in seeing the pics.

since I will be getting a ls6 intake in a month or so.

yes i know that someone might ask why do I need a ls6 intake since my car is an 02....well previous owner or someone swap it out for a ls1 intake
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bobbyd
im interested in seeing the pics.

since I will be getting a ls6 intake in a month or so.

yes i know that someone might ask why do I need a ls6 intake since my car is an 02....well previous owner or someone swap it out for a ls1 intake
taking it back to stock, WAY STOCK. lol

i basically just followed the indention on the foam on the ls1 intake to see where the lines layed. I used the hammer and chisel method, did it in about 5 minutes.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

bumpity bump
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

how much blood was spilled in the engine bay, when i did my fast 92 setup i destroyed my hands. I still have 2 big scars on my thumb where the throttle cable holder piece ripped some meat off.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

actually im quite a little guy (120 lbs) so i have little arms and hands, so there was no blood was spilt. no cuts or anything. my header install wayyy worse lol.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually im quite a little guy (120 lbs) so i have little arms and hands, so there was no blood was spilt. no cuts or anything. my header install wayyy worse lol.
I'm in the middle of my header/poly mm install and I can relate to the "blood" part of " blood, sweat, and tears." One hand is swollen from the socket slipping off an altenator bolt and slamming into the oil pan. My other hand looks like I've been in combat with a badger. Cuts and scrapes all over. Oh well, its all worth it. =-)

Good job on the intake install. I believe thats next on my list. Either that or more suspension upgrades. Ah...decisions...decisions...
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I'm in the middle of my header/poly mm install and I can relate to the "blood" part of " blood, sweat, and tears." One hand is swollen from the socket slipping off an altenator bolt and slamming into the oil pan. My other hand looks like I've been in combat with a badger. Cuts and scrapes all over. Oh well, its all worth it. =-)

Good job on the intake install. I believe thats next on my list. Either that or more suspension upgrades. Ah...decisions...decisions...
the header install was the worst for me because while i was leaning over the car tightening bolts, my dad lowered the lift down onto my toes, lets just say my big toes are still purple, and i finished this install 3 months ago.

yeah either mod you go with will be a good one. im about to find out whether or not the ls6 intake was worth it or not, as soon as my TB comes back.

i personally decided to go for starting a base then building up power, so all the suspension stuff i have was done before any of the engine mods were done.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

I did this install last year and it was worth it. I dropped about .30 at the track and that was on street tires. The p&p isn't going to do **** for ya, but look good under the hood.....got that too.

As far as the peeps doing the LS6 intake swap in the future....be very careful taking it off at the back of the intake. The hose for the brake booster wraps behind the oil pressure sensor at the back of the motor. If you pull it out and it is wrapped around the back YOU WILL RIP THE WIRE OUT OF THE PLUG OR BUST THE SENSOR OUT OF THE BLOCK!!!!! Both parts are relatively cheap, but let's face it we all don't like the unexpected.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOS2000
I did this install last year and it was worth it. I dropped about .30 at the track and that was on street tires. The p&p isn't going to do **** for ya, but look good under the hood.....got that too.

As far as the peeps doing the LS6 intake swap in the future....be very careful taking it off at the back of the intake. The hose for the brake booster wraps behind the oil pressure sensor at the back of the motor. If you pull it out and it is wrapped around the back YOU WILL RIP THE WIRE OUT OF THE PLUG OR BUST THE SENSOR OUT OF THE BLOCK!!!!! Both parts are relatively cheap, but let's face it we all don't like the unexpected.
yeah i know i wont see much out of the tb but i figured while the intake was off, i may as well send it out and have someone port it out a little. see i didnt break it, but i was very careful and this was a crucial point of my install, mainly because i didnt feel lilke dropping 40 bucks, and wasting my time.

what i did was lift it up about an inch, and stuck a tool on the left and right side of the manifold, so that it could teeter back and forth from the front to back. once i did that i tilted the front of the intake down (brought the back up a little) and reached back there just so that i can find where the sensor is, and i unplugged it (i think the wire is what ends up breaking it when you are pulling the brake hose out) and then while my dad pulled the intake out, i fed the large brake booster house around to make sure it didnt contact the sensor, and i reversed the process when i put the new ls6 in, wala, no broken sensor.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 PM
12 Second Club

i was planning on installing an ls6 intake i had bought but was going to install it when i did my cam next Christmas but i have seen a few guys post .2 tenths gains in the 1/4, if thats the case it would be worth the install myself and a retune now, anybody else have 1/8 or 1/4 gains from intake only?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by evo2ls1
i was planning on installing an ls6 intake i had bought but was going to install it when i did my cam next Christmas but i have seen a few guys post .2 tenths gains in the 1/4, if thats the case it would be worth the install myself and a retune now, anybody else have 1/8 or 1/4 gains from intake only?
well im not a track person, but ill definately let you know how it performs, im expecting a gain in the upper rpms, like 3500 and up.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

well im not a track person, but ill definately let you know how it performs, im expecting a gain in the upper rpms, like 3500 and up.
cool thats what i am looking for i am going to install the intake and get the rev limiter bumped to 6250 also
Old 04-26-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

i definitly noticed the ls6 intake up top, for sure it loved to breathe up top compared to my ls1....
Old 04-26-2009, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

SOTP Dyno said no gains, Track and dyno numbers showed something different.

I gained more hp and torque on average but the numbers were only slightly higher peak to peak...

I dyno'd 328hp before and 332hp after...

I felt more SOTP with the Ported TB....which was installed after the dyno.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well i just installed my ls6 intake and ported throttle body on sat. I have no oil pressure now, so i assume i broke my sending unit. i must have done it when i put the new intake in, cuz i was crazy careful pulling the old one out. Can def feel a difference in the uper rpms, the car just wants to continue to pull through 2nd and 3rd. The only issue im having now, besides the lack of oil pressure, is my car wont hold an idle, it moves about 200-300 rpms every few seconds. and when im driving, it wants to stay up at wround 1800rpm when i finally stop, then it slowly comes back to normal, and does the up down thing again. Im guessing i have a vacuum leak somewhere, but i looked over everything a few times, and didnt see anything. only other thing i can think of is taking some carb/intake cleaner and spraying a few areas and see if the car acts different. any one have some input? thanks

Quick Reply: Just finished my Ls6 intake install on a 2000 Camaro