Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Ideas for Minimizing Rasp

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Latest Ideas for Minimizing Rasp

I know this is an old topic, but since my H/C package went in, my rasp has gotten a little too loud. Any recent ideas that have been proven to work? The MAC/ORY combo with the H/C is a bit much.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bullet mufflers are still the best solution. That, or going to a quieter muffler.

It has alot to do with what header you're running too. The Macs are pretty bad about drone and rasp.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Colonel
Bullet mufflers are still the best solution. That, or going to a quieter muffler.

It has alot to do with what header you're running too. The Macs are pretty bad about drone and rasp.
Thanks Colonel. Put the Bullet in the I-Pipe? This is what I read before.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Dynomax bullet in the I-pipe worked wonders for me. 90% of the rasp is gone and what's left just sounds like exhaust "tone" to me now.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

How much does it affect flow and HP? Wouldnt that eliminate the benefit of a cutout?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Launching!

just get true duals and xpipe and rid the rasp all together
Old 10-30-2003, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssfiress

I would love to. But I blew all my money on the Heads/Cam/LS6 Intake/Pushrods/ASP Pulley/160 stat. So for now, until I'll have to "band aid" the nuisance. Bullet in the I-Pipe will be next. Where can I get these mufflers? I hope they're not expensive. Oh, and to repeat the question, any HP loss? If so, I'm sure it's minimal, my ears need relief.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Fixed mine.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

the Hooker catback totally fixed my rasp, which was terrible!
Old 10-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Launching!

there might be a slight loss of power. when i got my headers and cam done i had the LM at the time and i thought it would sound like caca even putting a bullet in the place of the resonator so i just save myself the hassel and went for the true's. im stoked on the sound it blares. whaaap whaaaap.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get a dynomax 3" bullet muffler from jegs or whoever for like $35-40 bucks. Im not sure what HP loss you will have - but im sure it will be minimal. Those mufflers are straight thru - I have one on my car, similar to a loudmouth setup, and it seems to breathe quite well.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put on the Corsa Catback w/my H/C Mac/ORY combo...absolutley LOVE the sound...nice inside..throaty at idle and still will scare ricers away w/the blip of the converter...hehe...
Old 10-30-2003, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is no discernable loss (possible theorectical loss) of power with a bullet muffler in the I-pipe. You can drop a tennis ball straight through a 3" bullet.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks 'all. A lot of great responses. Dynomax it is.

This site rawks....
Old 10-30-2003, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Stock catback and cutout = no rasp when capped, this is why i kept the stocker on the car.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, *cats* are the BEST solution when running a "single" exhaust set-up(any cat-back system). A true dual set-up also fixes that problem without the cats.

Maybe some people have had luck with the Dynomax Bullet mufflers in their I, but the ones I've heard did hardly anything to get rid of the rasp through a cat-back system on a car running no cats...

Mike
Old 10-30-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you get some long tubes it will solve ur problem, those macs w/ory just sound horrible, even with the bullet muffler in the I-pipe, all it is going to do is make the rasp not as loud.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hicks 2KTA
If you get some long tubes it will solve ur problem, those macs w/ory just sound horrible, even with the bullet muffler in the I-pipe, all it is going to do is make the rasp not as loud.
Well, that's a start. You guys are coming up with great ideas, but I just blew my wad (remember?) on a pretty expensive project so I was looking for a *cheaper* way to give my ears a break. Everyone has a good idea on this one, thanks, but I only wish I could just change stuff out.

Starting tomorrow, I will stand on the median and hold my bucket with a sign reading "Need Longtubes, God Bless."
Old 10-31-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

"Actually, *cats* are the BEST solution when running a "single" exhaust set-up(any cat-back system). A true dual set-up also fixes that problem without the cats.

Maybe some people have had luck with the Dynomax Bullet mufflers in their I, but the ones I've heard did hardly anything to get rid of the rasp through a cat-back system on a car running no cats..."

Mike, the bullet muffler I used was an SLP (the absolute longest I could stuff between the collector of the Y and the cuttout.) It got rid of at least 90% of the rasp and certainly flowed better than any cat. I can't vouch for the Dynomax brand.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

"Actually, *cats* are the BEST solution when running a "single" exhaust set-up(any cat-back system). A true dual set-up also fixes that problem without the cats.

Maybe some people have had luck with the Dynomax Bullet mufflers in their I, but the ones I've heard did hardly anything to get rid of the rasp through a cat-back system on a car running no cats..."

Mike, the bullet muffler I used was an SLP (the absolute longest I could stuff between the collector of the Y and the cuttout.) It got rid of at least 90% of the rasp and certainly flowed better than any cat. I can't vouch for the Dynomax brand.

Colonel, I now know which route I'm going....thanks. Decreasing 90% rasp is like heaven right now.