Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High oil pressure readings

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation High oil pressure readings

car is an 02' z28 M6, 50k miles give or take. Normally the oil pressure gauge reads 40psi at idle all the time and about 60psi at 3000rpms gettin on it. I installed a cheap *** catch can yesterday and drove the car for the first time today.

Today it Idled at 45psi on the dash gauge, 60psi at 2k rpms cruising, it was warmed up fully, isn't that a bit high?? then down the road getting onto the freeway the gauge hit 70-75psi@3k rpms+ driving sort of quick but not WOT or beating on it for 2-3 shift,

3-4 didn't drop the pressure for more than a split second, shift to 5th only dropped it to about 55-58psi cruising. I did NOT go over 65mph at all just to clarify OR take it over 4000rpm.

Kinda freaked me out as this was on the way to dinner, I went straight home without dinner and removed it straight to the trash. RPMspeed catch can setup already ordered.

>> idk if it matters but when removing the catchcan the inlet hose <to manifold>
was kinked up

Someone locally suggested that my sending unit is bad??
I have no error codes or ses lights showing.

Car is currently running a custom diablo performance tune if that matters, but that's been loaded for months.

I know the deal with diablo tuners so no need to remind me, it was a gift.

Knowledge/Help Would Be Greatly appreciated, Experienced guys please chime in!! Please; Asshats with nothing but sarcasm and negatives to say Please refrain from chiming in.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,
RiceEaterZ.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mine always runs high (02 camaro ss) 60 at idle 65-70 under load. My tuner tells me that the gauges are not to be trusted, as long as the pressure is going up as your RPM's increase, should be OK.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dondb
Mine always runs high (02 camaro ss) 60 at idle 65-70 under load. My tuner tells me that the gauges are not to be trusted, as long as the pressure is going up as your RPM's increase, should be OK.
mine also reads this high. all stock
Old 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friends 94 I believe it is idles at around 60 and goes up to 80 at WOT, is this normal??? Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh so this is normal? even though it normally read lower? should I get an aftermarket gauge instead of replacing the sending unit?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone ever ran rich after installing LS6 manifold and ported throttle body? My idle is fine but it is running rich when driving at a stop oil pressure is back to normal. Basically shoots from 40 at idle to 60 when pressing throttle.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by noboundreez2345
Has anyone ever ran rich after installing LS6 manifold and ported throttle body? My idle is fine but it is running rich when driving at a stop oil pressure is back to normal. Basically shoots from 40 at idle to 60 when pressing throttle.
oil pressure is supposed to fluctuate w/engine speed.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Right but even when I take my foot off the throttle the oil pressure doesn't come down at all. It stays pinned at 60 until I come to a stop. Before install car never ran this rich. Could I have got a bad OSU?
Old 05-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Right but even when I take my foot off the throttle the oil pressure doesn't come down at all. It stays pinned at 60 until I come to a stop. Before install car never ran this rich. Could I have got a bad OSU?
u do realize that the terms "rich" and "lean" are associated with a/f and have absolutely no bearing on oil pressure/level etc. right? Anyway, i would just take it as an indication that u have a strong pump. If the OSU didnt work your gauge wouldnt move.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Launching!

& to the OP - ive heard that different brand oil filters will create different oil pressure readings. Supposedly the K&N will flow a few more PSI - im gonna try it since mine is low. If i could have mine at 60 constant and 80 WOT id be happy.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

mine idles around 40 psi with a k&n wrench off oil filter the same as it did before when i bought it when it had a cheaper oil filter but the gauges could be off a few.....
Old 05-23-2009, 05:05 AM
TECH Junkie

i wouldn't worry... after my build with a new oil pump my guage was pegged at 80 for the first couple hours... it slowly worked it's way down to normal. It's now around 40-45 at idle and 60+ at WOT...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

ok cool thanks guys, you've helped me relax a bit. I didn't change anything on it other than the catch can install, I did try to take the pcv valve connection off the wrong side first? pump is stock with 53k miles on it, Oil filter hasnt been changed in 2.5k miles and i use Delco pf46's. Looking into an aftermarket oil gauge and I emailed my "installer" about it anyway, hes gonna be doing a cam soon with a ported ls6 pump and the supporting **** since I don't have time to learn & do it myself before the tuners come down.

anyone else think I should check the sender?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
& to the OP - ive heard that different brand oil filters will create different oil pressure readings. Supposedly the K&N will flow a few more PSI - im gonna try it since mine is low. If i could have mine at 60 constant and 80 WOT id be happy.
I have firsthand experience with the different pressure reading with different brand oil filters. My Fram filter reads 20 psi higher than my previous filter
Old 05-23-2009, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

u do realize that the terms "rich" and "lean" are associated with a/f and have absolutely no bearing on oil pressure/level etc. right? Anyway, i would just take it as an indication that u have a strong pump. If the OSU didnt work your gauge wouldnt move.
Sorry for being such a newb regarding rich and lean. I was worried because before I installed the manifold after releasing the throttle the oil pressure would drop back down. Example it would read 40 rise to 60 with increase in throttle then when throttle was released would drop back down to 40. Now it rises to 60 with throttle increase and when the throttle is released it stays at 60.

Thanks in advance just trying to learn and get answers.

Last edited by noboundreez2345; 05-23-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for being such a newb regarding rich and lean. I was worried because before I installed the manifold after releasing the throttle the oil pressure would drop back down. Example it would read 40 rise to 60 with increase in throttle then when throttle was released would drop back down to 40. Now it rises to 60 with throttle increase and when the throttle is released it stays at 60.

Thanks in advance just trying to learn and get answers.
Your fuel tables are most likely way off with the rather large increase of induction you have going on, so it's probably dumping a lot more fuel trying to correct everything.

Not that this pertains to oil pressure but I would get a tune if you have ported tb, ls6 intake manifold and longtubes if you want to correct things.

If you are really that determined to switch filters, save yourself some money and buy a Mobil 1. K&N and Mobil 1 filters are made by the same company Champion Labs. Either that or go to Napa and buy a Wix filter, I wouldn't ever use a Fram filter.

If anyone has anymore interest in this kind of stuff the forums over at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com are very helpful and informative.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

FRAM are HORRIBLE !! Never use them....Wix all the way !!!

We have seen too many colapsed Frams.