Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help with exhast tone.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need some help with exhast tone.

I have read just about every exhaust thread on LS1 and now I just need some help and opinions to fill in the gaps I still have. My number one reason to replace my exhaust is for the sound even if it hindered performance. (I doubt that would actually be a problem however) I am looking for the classic low rumble of a muscle car (or as close as I can get) loud is not a problem, but if I can avoid some droning noise that would be great.

Ok, so here is the set up I am looking at, (the engine has a stock cam, and will probably stay that way for some time); Pacesetter long tube headers leading into high-flow cats then into Flowmasters (10-series?) and dumped before the axle with an H-pipe.

Here are my questions;
My car is a daily driver in MN, if I get the Pacesetters without ceramic coating will they rust away in a year or two or last several years?
If I wrap the headers with a heat shield, will that encourage or discourage rust?
How does extending the exhaust past the back of the car (over or under-axle) reduce or change internal noise and drone?

Any other advice is always welcome. As I said my only concern is the getting the sound right, clearance is not an issue, and I can live with loud and with some drone.

There are tons of threads on exhast preformance but very few on getting the tone and sound of the exhaust right so I appreciate any help.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest listening to a few sound clips as each preference varries. If the car drones then I would suggest buying a set of dynomax cones. They slip inside the pipe, don't cost any RWHP and drop the sound a couple of decibles. As far as headers get stainless steel. eBay headers are a great buy. But kooks reign suppreme.