Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starting problem

My car has suddenly decided to act like a Ford- It has always fired up after the first crank but about a month ago I went to start it and it just cranked and cranked then after 10 seconds or so it stumbled to a start. This is a very speratic issue: no matter the conditions it will either start up instantly, or it will crank for several seconds and then start. Even when it doesn't want to fire up, I can shut the key off and immediately try again and it starts right away. Other than that it seems to run just fine. It always cranks good, its hard to tell if its battery voltage but the battery is brand new, less than 2 months old. Anybody have any idea what its problem is? Its very embarrassing. I'm thinking it has to be inadequate fuel or lack of spark, but several components / parameters control the operation of these so I'm just looking for a place to start. The fact that it cranks fast lends itself to a fueling issue instead of a battery issue. But it could be that the ignition control module is going out?, or some timing sensor, like a crank or cam position sensor is having problems? I had not done anything prior to it doing this, no new tune, no hard driving, no anything, just cruising around and suddenly its acting like this.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Its probably the fuel pump starting to go out. I had the same problem with mines, when it would sit for a while it would take a while for it to start, but if it only sat for like an hour or so it would start right up. This is just my 2 cents, it came down to me being stuck an hour away from my house cause it decided to just not start. It was the fuel pump.

Crank it a little to see what happens, dont start it. Spray fuel into the manifold and see if it starts rght up.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

It was the fuel pump.