Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers In Cali?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers In Cali?

I wanted to put long tube headers on my car but was told by a header installer that i could not do that in cali and that i couldent even put on the mid tube because if the cat gets moved from its stock possition i couldnt so he said i could really only put on the shortys unless i wanted to install my self than he could get the long tube for me now if i put the long tube on my 02 TA am istill gona be able to pass smog this year or any other year what do most of you have on your cars long,mid,short? and did you ever have any probs i would like to know before i go making some stupid choice also how big of a differance in hp/performance will i get with short VS long this is my first LS1 THANKS GUYS
Old 11-10-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes long tubes are illegal but ALOT of us have them, its only a visual that has to pass at smog time. so if they dont even look you will pass or if you take it to somewhere were they dont care. Don Lee should install them 909-989-1573 talk to Rob
Old 11-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Teching In

were is this don lee at and is he reasoably priced also do you know were ican go to a smog shop that will pass me
Old 11-10-2003, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

i had an illegal intake on my last truck and the guy at the smog check place did not even care. most of those guys will see stuff and ignore it. if they wont the next shop probably will
Old 11-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headers on an LS1 in a fbody aren't really that obvious, so if you don't point it out to them, most of the time they don't even notice. "Hey look Mr. Smog man, I got HEADERS! Ain't they cool!" Now if you go in without cats, they will be a little more sensitive about that, very hefty fine involved.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

You have an 02. You don't need to smog until 07. Order some Jet Hots for $511 shipped and install them yourself. The hooker y is 200 coated and shipped from Jet Hot. I installed them in 6 hours.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:34 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just get them and install them yourself. it only takes some basic tools, jacks, and about 5-12hrs.

a long as you have cats you should be fine, just gotta get a way to pass visual. only thing is if when you have to smog and you get picked for one of those state run places or whatever your screwed. but for now i say **** it and get them
Old 11-11-2003, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samuraixv
were is this don lee at and is he reasoably priced also do you know were ican go to a smog shop that will pass me

there in rancho cucamonga
Old 11-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

There are a few issues other than passing smog you have to consider with headers. While the following doesn't happen very often, it has happened.

- A few cities have run random spot checks for emmisions where they wave you over and go through you cars for compliance. This happened in Long Beach several months ago.
- Police have cordon off some popular car hangouts and check each car for compliance (eg. CARB numbers etc) and cited cars and forced them to get compliant and prove it. Someone on the other forum pulled into an In&Out to grab a burger that also happened to be a ricer hangout and got caught in this last year.
- A few people have been pulled over for a "too loud" exhaust (subjective to the officer's ears) and then cited for illegal mods.

Then again, most people don't have any trouble. Just be aware of the dangers and consider the cost of putting the car back into compliance if you are cited.