Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about AIR/EGR and removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow ? about AIR/EGR and removal

On this 98 vette it comes out of the 2 header flanges thru check valves and into a Y then down to the pump then to the air lid.....Wouldnt this be the EGR system and not the A.I.R.? I thought the A.I.R. pumps air into the exhaust for the cats but theres no piping that go into the exhaust except the header flanges and they have check valves so it wouldnt be able to flow back in there....So I would call this the EGR? Exhaust gas recirculation, since thats what it does, No?

and if I took this system off on a car with 2 high flow cats would it hurt anything? (no piping to the mid pipe or anything)
Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Banned

thats the air pump equipment. the EGR is the tube on the top of the intake right after the throttle body. look at LS6 in take to see difference. check valves let air in and keep exhaust from coming out.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those check valves are only letting fresh air in and not letting exhaust gas out, the pump is pulling clean air from the lid, and up that pipe to both manifolds/headers, when the pump turns off, there's no more fresh air pushed through the check valves.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Those check valves are only letting fresh air in and not letting exhaust gas out, the pump is pulling clean air from the lid, and up that pipe to both manifolds/headers, when the pump turns off, there's no more fresh air pushed through the check valves.
That makes sense, I was thinking the opposite.....Thanks

Then anyways would it hurt on a car that has cats on it? (high flow ones)
Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

No, it won't hurt the car. Most of us ditch the AIR system to clean up the engine bay. Keeping it will not hurt the car at all though, it actually helps the cats.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I know its meant to help the cats but will it harm them if they never get fresh oxygen? and won't it affect the tune since when it turns on the pump it looks for different fuel trims via rear o2 sensor? and I would assume it would set a code? but just wondering if it can damage the cats since I see alot of cars dont run cats anyway
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

I think it only runs when the car is in open loop...as it'd seriously mess up the O2 sensor readings...when the car is cold and warming up, the pump is on helpng the cats start working, when it warms up enough for the O2 sensors to work in closed loop, the air pump also shuts off. I don't think you'll shorten their life removing it, it just makes the emissions take longer to clean up when you start the car up cold if it isn't there.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

as talked about above, most people remove the a.i.r. system. so no it wont hurt anything. simply put