Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 160 thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 160 thermostat

HI, new to the forum looks good!
I have a 98 formula with an LS1,ory with no cat's, flowmaster catback,slp lid.
I am going to send my computer away for a tune and while it's gone I am going to put a 160 thermostat in. Just wondering what temp I should have the fan's turn on. I was thinking first fan at 175 second at 180. Any help would be great. THANKS
Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

i know my car will run 172-175 on the highway (or with the fan switch on high) with the 160 stat (this was before my elect wp.)

so to turn on at 175 would pretty much mean it will always be on. i say 190 on, and 185 off.

no need to go too crazy with the temp settings. the stock settings keep the engine from being damaged. so running anything lower than that is pretty much icing on the cake (peace of mind) and for performance (lower intake temps).
Old 09-01-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Program your fans anyway, but leave the thermostat alone. It will
not help you in any way. I'd put FAN1 at 192/190 on.off, FAN2 at
198/196 (pivot for the factory, and aftermarket "180" 'stats, are
about 194F).

All my 160 gave me was a little less MPG. You want better cooling,
get a better radiator and better fans. Thermostat (say it with me,
now) only sets the minimum warmed-up coolant temp. That's it.
Any other problem, is somebody else's problem.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

while i agree with you for the most part, the lower stat will allow you to pull your temps down a little farther than the stock stat will.

as i think you stated, most of the thermostats allow temps to hover right around 12-15deg over the "rated" temp...no matter how much air flow you have.

i like being able to maintain a little lower temp when moving (highway driving), without having the fans kick on to do it. and setting the fan temps to right around that "hover temperature" means that the fans will be getting ALOT more use. which i think is unneccessary.

why not just use the stat and natural airflow to keep the temps at that level....and save the fans for slow speed and sitting still? say 20-25deg over the stat rating (as stated in my first post).

i havn't done extensive testing with my scanner since my Mez EWP went in but with all that added flow at idle, the "hover temp" still seems to be 172-173 with the fan switch on HIGH. i think that's just the equalibrium point for the 160 stat and the radiator...which is fine with me.